Dustin Hoffman on rejection

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPAat-T1uhE"]Dustin Hoffman on TOOTSIE and his character Dorothy Michaels - YouTube[/ame]

Dustin Hoffman tearfully explains
why Tootsie was never a comedy for him | fox4kc.com

The realizations he went through making Tootsie are pretty deep. He wanted to play a woman that was convincing enough to not stand out as a man in drag and when they made him over he wasn't satisfied with his appearance and told them to make him look better. They told him that was as good as it got. Seems like that hurt him on some level because he felt he would be an interesting woman.

That made him realize that there are a lot of good women out there that he never gave the time of day to because they didn't fit society's model of beauty. Like when he saw himself done up as a woman they could never make him look good enough that the male him would give the female him the time of day.

That's the fear of rejection women have to live with. No matter how much of a quality person they are if they aren't dealt a certain hand they're screwed.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Not really, men are expected to make the first move, so most women don't have to approach men anyway and thus don't have to worry about rejection.

And let's be reality, it's not like most nyggas have standards anyway. Any women that has a vagina and isn't morbidly obese will get approached sooner or later. Maybe not by who they want it to be, but still. There are plenty of dudes out there who will hit anything.

That's not to say that women aren't judged by their appearance more than men are tho.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
not a bad realization to come to. all it took for me was shaving my legs one time.
men often go women don't know the rejection we as men face. as a man you can overcome your deficiencies. a woman if she doesn't look a certain way that's it.

seriously to be born an average or ugly woman is fukked up because that's your limit. no amount of hard work and dedication of self work is gonna ever change that.

as men maybe the next time we look at a chick and thing i'd hit it but i wouldn't claim her we should remember there's another side to that.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Not really, men are expected to make the first move, so most women don't have to approach men anyway and thus don't have to worry about rejection.

And let's be reality, it's not like most nyggas have standards anyway. Any women that has a vagina and isn't morbidly obese will get approached sooner or later. Maybe not by who they want it to be, but still. There are plenty of dudes out that who will hit anything.

That's not to say that women aren't judged by their appearance more than men are tho.

i think the sting of rejection is worse for a woman. like i said a woman can't really in most cases beat the superficial judgments made about her the second a man looks at her. her potential is pretty much set in stone and she never had any power over it.

as a man if a chick shoots you down you can work on your personality, body, or finances and get better chicks than her with effort. as a woman if she gets rejected in many ways that's her bumping her head against the glass ceiling of her potential.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
i think the sting of rejection is worse for a woman. like i said a woman can't really in most cases beat the superficial judgments made about her the second a man looks at her. her potential is pretty much set in stone and she never had any power over it.

as a man if a chick shoots you down you can work on your personality, body, or finances and get better chicks than her with effort. as a woman if she gets rejected in many ways that's her bumping her head against the glass ceiling of her potential.

Eh, kinda goes both ways. Women are judged more for their appearance, but I wouldn't say women necessarily hit a glass ceiling. If a women is obese she can lose weight. Plenty of women who are unsatisfied with their facial characteristics wear makeup. And you have shyt like breast implants, wonder bras, butt pads, wigs, etc.

On the other hand, men can try to improve things like their finances/personality to get more women, but in some ways those are harder to improve than looks. One thing women tend to be really big on is height, and that's something men have no control over whatsoever.

I'd say it goes both ways tbh. I'm not necessarily sure it's worse for women just because of the fact that they aren't doing most of the approaching anyway. :manny:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
iv eseen some real hideous women married
there is always a ugly ass ismp out there for them

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Eh, kinda goes both ways. Women are judged more for their appearance, but I wouldn't say women necessarily hit a glass ceiling. If a women is obese she can lose weight. Plenty of women who are unsatisfied with their facial characteristics wear makeup. And you have shyt like breast implants, wonder bras, butt pads, wigs, etc.

On the other hand, men can try to improve things like their finances/personality to get more women, but in some ways those are harder to improve than looks. One thing women tend to be really big on is height, and that's something men have no control over whatsoever.

I'd say it goes both ways tbh. I'm not necessarily sure it's worse for women just because of the fact that they aren't doing most of the approaching anyway. :manny:
you're talking about weight loss and makeup but put any woman out there at peak physical condition and there's still gonna be a glass ceiling and if she tries to get a guy beyond it he's not gonna go for that because:
1. he isn't judging her on her merits as a person
2. he knows they can do better

of course there are exceptions to the rule but as a woman your parents genes determine how high you can go in the dating world. as a man you determine how high you can go in the dating world.

shoot for the moon land among the stars is a reality for men. for women its more like shoot for the moon and crash back on earth.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
iv eseen some real hideous women married
there is always a ugly ass ismp out there for them
but they can't have that Brad Pitt looking guy and they or the majority of them don't have a shot at any guy in that class range.

maybe she wants a handsome guy and not an ugly simp.

an ugly dude can hit the gym and use humor and flash a bit and marry a supermodel looking chick. he may have to talk to 100 of them but he can still have the potential to land one. if she talks to 100 handsome guys some of them might hit it and never call her again but most will blow her off.

she's gotta go out and find the simp or the guy with low self esteem and accept the defective model.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
you're talking about weight loss and makeup but put any woman out there at peak physical condition and there's still gonna be a glass ceiling and if she tries to get a guy beyond it he's not gonna go for that because:
1. he isn't judging her on her merits as a person
2. he knows they can do better

of course there are exceptions to the rule but as a woman your parents genes determine how high you can go in the dating world. as a man you determine how high you can go in the dating world.

shoot for the moon land among the stars is a reality for men. for women its more like shoot for the moon and crash back on earth.

I don't see a huge difference. Only thing I can think of that men can do that women can't (to improve their desirability) is try to make more money. And it's not all that easy to get rich.

Not every women can land a rich/famous dude, but by the same token if you're 5'1 then you're probably not gonna date a supermodel (outside of a gold digger) regardless of how handsome/funny/rich you are. It goes both ways.

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

And let's be reality, it's not like most nyggas have standards anyway. Any women that has a vagina and isn't morbidly obese will get approached sooner or later. Maybe not by who they want it to be, but still. There are plenty of dudes out there who will hit anything.

He wasnt just talking rejection romantically, if a women is unattractive she will not get certain jobs and be taken over a prettier women and in general will be treated like shyt by people.Most wont even wont to talk to her

Women have been condtioned that their looks are eveyhting and if therye not pretty theyre not sh!t which is why most of them are always insanely insecure about their looks and every part of them physically