Doing low carb... one cheat meal or nah ?

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Depends on a few factors but yes. Are you lean? If not, no. If you’re really large and have a desk job you probably could go weeks without a cheat day.

My calories aren’t that low but I try to stay under 50 grams when I don’t lift. I also carb up every 4 days. If my job wasn’t so strenuous I’d only carb up every 6 or 7. You gotta find what works for you based on your circumstances.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Y'all gotta start giving more information......................

What's your goal? How close are you to it?

What type of training do you do?

That said @IrateMastermind is on point with his response IMO

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eduacate me. What’s the benefit of goin low carb if you aren’t trying to achieve a metabolic state of ketosis. What’s the big difference between minimizing your carbs to under 100 versus the daily recommendation of 200-250 carbs?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Eduacate me. What’s the benefit of goin low carb if you aren’t trying to achieve a metabolic state of ketosis. What’s the big difference between minimizing your carbs to under 100 versus the daily recommendation of 200-250 carbs?
Well if you are trying to limit calories, it’s a non-essential macro so it’s easier to eliminate yet still keep a functional base of nutrition.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps

To my knowledge the only essential carb is fiber so the daily recommendation doesn't mean anything. 100 to 200 grams of fiber seems impossible to me.

If you aren't trying to lose body fat the biggest benefit for me is no brain fog. I'm way more sharp now that I use carbs as a tool for a job and not something that's essential for every job.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Cheat meals are essential to sticking tona healthy lifestyle imo. Going without an occasional cheat meal makes you more likely to fall off the wagon in my opinion.

If you bust your ass in the gym and eat healthy all week you can look forward to that weekend cheat meal and you fukking earned it.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Cheat meals are essential to sticking tona healthy lifestyle imo. Going without an occasional cheat meal makes you more likely to fall off the wagon in my opinion.

If you bust your ass in the gym and eat healthy all week you can look forward to that weekend cheat meal and you fukking earned it.

Thus lies the conflict:

How healthy is a lifestyle if one needs a cheat meal to feel normal?

How is this different than the "work hard, play hard" employees/students that inevitably burn out?

Food for thought.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Thus lies the conflict:

How is this different than the "work hard, play hard" employees/students that inevitably burn out?

Food for thought.
It's healthy because it's a reward for doing the right thing. Total abstinence isn't sustainable in regards to things the body yearns 100% of the time but if you can abstain 95% of the time and feed your satisfaction 5% of the time you have a much better chance of sticking with that lifestyle as opposed to trying total abstinence for a long duration.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Thus lies the conflict:

Food for thought.
what youre saying doesnt make any sense bruh.

adding a cheat meal (not going overboard) to low carb is essentially carb cycling.

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What’s an example of a not goin overboard cheat meal on a low carb?

Like goin to a bday party and eating that one pice of birthday cake with the icing?

A real burger with the bun?

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
It's healthy because it's a reward for doing the right thing. Total abstinence isn't sustainable in regards to things the body yearns 100% of the time but if you can abstain 95% of the time and feed your satisfaction 5% of the time you have a much better chance of sticking with that lifestyle as opposed to trying total abstinence for a long duration.

This conversation is part of a bigger one regarding orthorexia. Your words lead to the idea of punishing oneself during the week to reward yourself on the weekend. All this for the perceived "greater good." It's the same pattern you see in burned out professionals, and to a greater extent, addicts. The "reward" is temporary relief from a stressor. The physiology of low carb is stress mediated. Even more so when compound with excessive exercise. Eventually the short "reward" isn't enough to balance the compounding stress and your body responds unfavorably. That's not conducive to a healthy lifestyle and thus the basis of my interjection. A temporary tool for fat loss? Sure, but not a lifestyle diet.

what youre saying doesnt make any sense bruh.

adding a cheat meal (not going overboard) to low carb is essentially carb cycling.

The whole purpose of adding carbs back into a low carb regimen is to break out of the stress of low carb...

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Spliff dropping gems in here.

Big reason most people fail on their weight loss goals or always revert back to overeating and gaining the weight back.

A cheat meal is even named like it's a bad thing to do, you're "cheating" on your diet by eating "bad" foods. Muthafukkas feeling guilty eating a cheeseburger once a week :mjlol:

Thank god I know how to cut fat eating "bad" foods all week :shaq:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
This conversation is part of a bigger one regarding orthorexia. Your words lead to the idea of punishing oneself during the week to reward yourself on the weekend. All this for the perceived "greater good." It's the same pattern you see in burned out professionals, and to a greater extent, addicts. The "reward" is temporary relief from a stressor. The physiology of low carb is stress mediated. Even more so when compound with excessive exercise. Eventually the short "reward" isn't enough to balance the compounding stress and your body responds unfavorably. That's not conducive to a healthy lifestyle and thus the basis of my interjection. A temporary tool for fat loss? Sure, but not a lifestyle diet.

The whole purpose of adding carbs back into a low carb regimen is to break out of the stress of low carb...
this isnt true.
I dont know this shyt well enough to regurgitate the reasoning...but the basic idea is adding those carbs a few times a week keeps your metabolism going.

re: your overall point about burnout.
I dont believe in that either.
Those people that burnout either dont know their true purpose...or just dont like what they do.
And im someone that pretty much works all day everyday.

but even if thats not the case for an individual...sometimes you have to put those hours in in order to reach a goal.
Life isnt about having fun (IMO).

a lot of this has to do w/ personality type.

Some people dont want to work a lot (which is fine), and other live for it.

Same with diet...some people enjoy taking this shyt to the limit...and other just want to eat a balanced meal.

At the end of the day its about trying different things and figuring out what works for you.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
this isnt true.
I dont know this shyt well enough to regurgitate the reasoning...but the basic idea is adding those carbs a few times a week keeps your metabolism going.

re: your overall point about burnout.
I dont believe in that either.
Those people that burnout either dont know their true purpose...or just dont like what they do.
And im someone that pretty much works all day everyday.

You lowkey supported everything I said. :heh: