Does it seem like there are more black actors getting shine than ever before in Hollywood?

Daps
I don't know what's happening but it feels like there are rising amount of black actors getting prominent roles in Hollywood. What would you attribute this to?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Thank you for stating the obvious. It has do with Hollywood's diversity push the last few years or so.

Last edited:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
I don't know, there seemed to be a greater push in the 70/80/90s to me. At least in those days a lead was written better so we got a star making performance. Today everything is so dollars and cents that a bad reaction from a focus group at an early screening could lead to studio not marketing the movie altogether. Then when it fails it's like see what happens when you have a black lead:manny:

qnsfinest

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
It might also have to do with hollywood realizing that their golden boys like ryan Reynolds, pine, scar jo, pratt a
just aren't money makers. If they aren't wearing a superhero costume all their trash flops.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I wouldn't say more. I'd say there's more avenues now for talent to shine so it seems like more. The 90s is probably still the best time for black actors/actresses because of the sheer glut of television shows on with black casts or black leads along with movies. A lot of our biggest stars, like Denzel and Sam and Will, are from that era and haven't been dethroned yet.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Please name them...cuz I'd say no. IMO, there are fewer black male leads, both on the a list (think denzel, will, Morgan freeman) and the b list (Morris chestnut, taye diggs, Omar epps) especially when you take into the fact that there are fewer "black" movies being made (no dead pres, love jones, love and basketball, etc)

they keep recycling micheal b, Elba, Bozeman, dude from Star Wars

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
Please name them...cuz I'd say no. IMO, there are fewer black male leads, both on the a list (think denzel, will, Morgan freeman) and the b list (Morris chestnut, taye diggs, Omar epps) especially when you take into the fact that there are fewer "black" movies being made (no dead pres, love jones, love and basketball, etc)

they keep recycling micheal b, Elba, Bozeman, dude from Star Wars
This. Where do you see this at?

BlaKcMoney

Hijo Del Ray
Daps
I don't know, there seemed to be a greater push in the 70/80/90s to me. At least in those days a lead was written better so we got a star making performance. Today everything is so dollars and cents that a bad reaction from a focus group at an early screening could lead to studio not marketing the movie altogether. Then when it fails it's like see what happens when you have a black lead:manny:
right, its nowhere close...theres ALOT LESS black talent in "hollywood". That reality show shyt doesnt count