Does Anyone Else Think 'Eyes Wide Shut' Was Hilarious?

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know everyone talks about the movie's dream-like quality, the commentary on marriage/sexuality and the Illuminati/occult references but what struck me the most about the movie was just how funny it was, to the point where I sometimes view it as an extremely dark comedy.

The fact that Cruise goes on this wild sex adventure and has an existential crisis simply because his wife told him she once wanted to fukk another man but didn't act on it.

The fact that damn near everyone who Cruise interacts with is trying to fukk him yet he gets cockblocked at every turn either by himself or by someone else.

The daughter of Cruise's patient who just died telling him she loves him and Cruise basically telling her, "Umm, I don't even know you :gucci:"

The entire scene with Cruise trying to get the costume from the shop owner leading up to the reveal of the dude's daughter and the two men.

The Sex cult members constantly murmuring amongst themselves whenever Cruise or the sex cult leader says something. (I don't know why, but I found that funny as fukk)

The last line of the movie. After all the paranoia, jealousy and fukkery he went through, what it all boils down to is the fact that him and his wife just needed to have sex more.

I read up on the development and saw that Kubrick initially wanted the movie to be a sex comedy, starring either Woody Allen or Steve Martin. I think some of the elements of Kubrick's initial vision can still be seen in the movie.

Eyes Wide Shut developed after Stanley Kubrick read Arthur Schnitzler's Dream Story in 1968, when Kubrick was looking for a project to follow 2001: A Space Odyssey. Kubrick was interested in adapting the story, and with the help of journalist Jay Cocks, bought the filming rights to the novel.[4] In the 1970s, Kubrick thought of Woody Allen as the Jewish protagonist.[5] For the following decade, Kubrick considered making the Dream Story adaptation a sex comedy "with a wild and somber streak running through it", starring Steve Martin in the main role.[

Kubrick had a really dark sense of humor and something tells me he'd find it hilarious seeing just how confused and disturbed many people still are of this movie.

Last edited: