Does any other sport care as much as about regular season awards as the NBA?

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The constant debate, folks getting legitimately heated over it, harassing media members over their ballots, players themselves getting in their feelings, some people even creating conspiracies if “their guy” doesn’t win. Does this really happen as much in other sports?

Not saying other fans don’t care but are people really invested to the same degree as NBA fans about who gets awards in baseball, football, soccer or hockey?

Maybe I’m tripping.

Last edited:

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I’m pretty sure people fighting over Ballon d’Or occurs year round. :heh:

Maybe some of the soccer guys can correct me.

Baseball awards, ie MVP/Cy Young, are a big deal as well.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Baseball awards are pretty big but there's not as much strife amongst fans in regards to the awards there. Like basketball, an award in baseball could be the difference in whether or not you securing a bag.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I figured as much about the Ballon d’Or but also isn’t it like all encompassing? Like they factor in all play, not just how they performed in their specific league

I know the baseball awards are important but I’m thinking like does the debate get as intense as the NBA?

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I figured as much about the Ballon d’Or but also isn’t it like all encompassing? Like they factor in all play, not just how they performed in their specific league

I know the baseball awards are important but I’m thinking like does the debate get as intense as the NBA?
I’m sure it does. NBA fans aren’t any different than any other sports fans IMO.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
NBA MVP was always the biggest to me because we got to see the players get their trophies in front of the fans and not some ceremony after the season like all the other sports do.
Same with all the other major awards, even if the player wasn't in the playoffs like most ROYs we still got to see them get the award at a press conference that was shown on Sportscenter and it was a big deal for at least a day.
The NBA messed it up when they started that ceremony after the playoffs to give out all the awards.
I think that might be back since COVID cancelled that ceremony since the world ended.

basketball-nba-playoffs-chicago-bulls-michael-jordan-receiving-mvp-picture-id93931796
Magic-Johnson-1.jpg
barkley_mvp_feature.jpg
fa8782c30adb42c769e0dbf7343f5b7b.jpg
20310965-standard.jpg

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

C dot and Messi fans and social media have devalued award and turned it into a pissing contest. That most other fans rather see someone else be rewarded for their great seasons/year but them. :manny:

C dot vs Messi is basically Magic vs Bird. Real & Barca won majority of the CL's in the 10's like the Lakers & Celtics in the 80's. Also sprinkle on top the historical rivalry between those 2. Real Madrid/Barca beef goes beyond the sporting arena tho back to the Spanish Civil War and General Franco.

Last edited:

EarlyEarly

Superstar
Daps
I’m not sure if it was always the case but they started linking dudes max contracts to awards. Some dudes be losing out on 10s of millions because of it.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
C dot and Messi fans and social media have devalued award and turned it into a pissing contest. That most other fans rather see someone else be rewarded for their great seasons/year but them. :manny:

C dot vs Messi is basically Magic vs Bird. Real & Barca won majority of the CL's in the 10's like the Lakers & Celtics in the 80's. Also sprinkle on top the historical rivalry between those 2. Real Madrid/Barca beef goes beyond the sporting arena tho back to the Spanish Civil War and General Franco.
Exactly. I’m sure the Messi/Ronaldo stan wars are just as bad if not worse than what NBA fans deal with.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP

When a pitcher gets involved, absolutely (just like last year)

Basketball is more heated because it’s treated as if it’s the world heavyweight title and a first class ticket to the hall of fame. When someone wins MVP in basketball we wanna outright say they’re the best player in basketball. In baseball, we can limit the praise to simply having the best season. For example, Shohei Ohtani won MVP and he still might not be the best player on his own team.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
NBA MVP was always the biggest to me because we got to see the players get their trophies in front of the fans and not some ceremony after the season like all the other sports do.
Same with all the other major awards, even if the player wasn't in the playoffs like most ROYs we still got to see them get the award at a press conference that was shown on Sportscenter and it was a big deal for at least a day.
The NBA messed it up when they started that ceremony after the playoffs to give out all the awards.
I think that might be back since COVID cancelled that ceremony since the world ended.

basketball-nba-playoffs-chicago-bulls-michael-jordan-receiving-mvp-picture-id93931796
Magic-Johnson-1.jpg
barkley_mvp_feature.jpg
fa8782c30adb42c769e0dbf7343f5b7b.jpg
20310965-standard.jpg

jokic gonna be like 3 months removed from being eliminated in the first round of the playoffs …Wouldn’t be surprised he doesn’t even make the trip from Serbia for the award show, and some random Denver front office member accepts the trophy on his behalf like Beyoncé at a BET award or some shyt…they gotta change it…at least move the regular season award show to the weekend before the playoffs start