Does Agile/Scrum product development really work?

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Anybody mind dropping a basic intro or some resources to learn more about AGILE/SCRUM. I’m suppose to take a software development course next semester and it’s basically just covering that from the Syllabus

Roughly:

Pretty much meetings everyday (some places it could be less).

All you're pretty much doing is saying what you did yesterday, what you're doing today and if you have any blockers.

Blockers are anything you can't get done because somebody else needs to finish their work first (or there may be a problem that is outside the feature you're working on) and are holding you up.

Usually you get assigned tasks (a lot of times it's features that you're adding) and get a time period (sprint) assigned to finish that task (although can be flexible but usually 2-4 weeks).

The work year is just sprint after sprint.

Waldo Geraldo Faldo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cloud
For those who work on agile teams. What metrics did you use at the end of each sprint/iteration to show how the team performed.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I loved working on an Agile team. I've worked where we have both 2 week and 4 week sprints. 4 weeks for larger projects/new development and 2 week for updates, maintenance, upgrades, etc.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
For those who work on agile teams. What metrics did you use at the end of each sprint/iteration to show how the team performed.

The metrics are the tasks you include in your sprint planning. You either get that work done within the sprint or you don't. We relied heavy on our burn down chart as well.

Waldo Geraldo Faldo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cloud
If you use JIRA you can run velocity reports which is supposed to help with sprint planning

The metrics are the tasks you include in your sprint planning. You either get that work done within the sprint or you don't. We relied heavy on our burn down chart as well.

A year ago all we use to show was a burn up chart. Now, we have to show feature wip, cycle time, lead time, story completion, point completion, velocity variation etc.

Do you all have to report out on these types of metrics as well?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
A year ago all we use to show was a burn up chart. Now, we have to show feature wip, cycle time, lead time, story completion, point completion, velocity variation etc.

Lmfao non of this has to do with being agile. This is more examples of dumb corporations getting in their own way

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Our SCRUM Master worried about those things. They are more administrative metrics. When we had sprint planning meetings we would have an overview on story/point completion, review burn down and some of those other things you mentioned, but we didn't have to track them ourselves.

Ugo Ogugwa

Neega Wotsssss
Supporter
Daps
Works really well. I have 5 plus years experience. 7 scrum masters report to me on a dotted line. AMA

prose00

Banned
Daps
damn y'll getting this paper through certs only???

I'm getting my degree and like fukk wasted my money

I'm saying!! I finished my EE degree and the offers I get pale significantly to someone with just certs. I feel cheated brehs :mjcry: