Do you think Dragonball could ever work in live-action? Or is the series inherently only suitable for animation?

Could Dragonball ever work in live-action?

• Yes, if the right people were in charge

• No, the series is only suited to animation

Results are only viewable after voting.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Obviously we know the attempt at the live action Dragonball movie was terrible.

But with the right writers, directors, producers, and budget...if all the circumstances were optimal, could Dragonball EVER work in live action? Or is it a franchise that should be animated and only animated? Leaning the latter myself, it's just hard to see a live action Dragonball working.

Not only because of the unrealistic anime-ness of the characters but also the plot.

It's basically built around constant cliffhangers and convoluted plot developments. Trying to condense a saga into one movie just wouldn't really feel like Dragonball.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
It would need a big budget. I think Disney would be able to handle it.

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
i think a story like this, where it's already established, the fight scenes were alright for this nad you know they didn't have some huge budget

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps
I don't trust Hollywood to get anything about that franchise correct. Dragonball would be a better lower budget alternative. Maybe the first world martial arts tournament.

fukk no
fukk yes. If DragonBall is going to be done right it needs an MCU budget. Not no Netflix cowboy Bebop budget

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps
Budget isn't the only thing to a great film.
DragonBall is going to need a big budget to translate Akira Toriyamas work into live action. If you cut corners you get shyt like DragonBall evolution. It has to be done right and with the right amount of money

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Nope because the choreography would be terrible. Even the repeating action sequences in the OG anime were more bearable than 95% of the above street-level fights we've seen in superhero movies today.

Only one that was dope was Man of Steel. The power was exhibited well and it was brutal. Directors outside of that wouldn't be able to capture how raw some of the fights in DBZ got.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Maybe early DB. :ehh:

DBS would be near impossible IMO. I think it would be extremely difficult to replicate how ridiculous a character like Goku is at this point.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Capturing Spider-man level ability has been the soft ceiling for big budget Hollywood for about 20 years now. And even then it helps that he's fully covered in red and blue, which makes it easier to render than if he was doing all that jumping around shyt in civvies And of course he's not going to topple buildings or mountains with a single punch.

Any character that demands more than his, time and again we've seen the cracks quickly begin to show... often with shyt looking cgi moments or just scaled back abilities. Man of Steel was one of the more notable exceptions. Add the Hollywood's overall shyt fight choreography culture, and there would be multiple challenges.