Do you prefer Devil May Cry “fast” combat or Fromsoft “slow” combat?

Which do you prefer in action games?

• Slow and sexy

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Fast and flashy

Votes: 35 72.9%

• Total voters

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Do you like the more fast paced action heavy button presses of a game like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Nier. Etc where performing flashy combos and getting high scores is satisfying.

Or do you prefer the slow methodical combat approach Fromsoft typically use, where timing and patience is rewarded over combo strings?

AmusingBountifulHerculesbeetle-size_restricted.gif

MindlessVengefulAffenpinscher-size_restricted.gif

FloorGeneral

I don't even know anymore...
Daps
Reppin
Packerland
Oh, we gonna do this again?

Nothing sexy about From's combat lol, but it is most certainly slow as molasses (BB's is decent atleast). shyt is a drag if we're keeping it real. Inputs aren't responsive enough (and some get eaten), recovery time is trash for everything. I tried to work in weapon switching (to switch between Weapon Arts quickly), and it's just not something that's feasible.

Luckily I went into Elden Ring with very low expectations (as far as combat goes), so my disappointment level was low. I wanted it to be a game I could get lost in and just wander around, and it has accomplished that. (Not to keep beating this drum, but it's true), coming from Nioh it's depressing how limited my combat options are. When ppl say From's combat is '(insert ANY variation of good here)', I just cringe. I wish the stanbase would recognize this and possibly make them update the shyt, but we know that will never happen.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Oh, we gonna do this again?

Nothing sexy about From's combat lol, but it is most certainly slow as molasses (BB's is decent atleast). shyt is a drag if we're keeping it real. Inputs aren't responsive enough (and some get eaten), recovery time is trash for everything. I tried to work in weapon switching (to switch between Weapon Arts quickly), and it's just not something that's feasible.

Luckily I went into Elden Ring with very low expectations (as far as combat goes), so my disappointment level was low. I wanted it to be a game I could get lost in and just wander around, and it has accomplished that. (Not to keep beating this drum, but it's true), coming from Nioh it's depressing how limited my combat options are. When ppl say From's combat is '(insert ANY variation of good here)', I just cringe. I wish the stanbase would recognize this and possibly make them update the shyt, but we know that will never happen.

I just like the feeling of weight From games have. It feels like every enemy, even skeletons are real threats that you have to actively think about. You have to be aware of your surroundings, their attack pattterns, their special movies (respawning), their resistance and weakness, etc.

You don’t really get that when the enemies just get caught up in a string of never ending combos and just feel like fodder for the next wave of enemies. They lack personality when they are just meant to add a higher number to your meter.

Souls games make you feel like a bad ass because you-yourself are overcoming the enemies by gaining knowledge on how to fight them. It’s not just how good you get at the game as a whole (how to do combos) its about how to fight each individual foe you encounter using the game logic

Like, i couldn’t even tell you my favorite enemy from devil may cry 5, even bosses. They all just kind of blend together, they are all just a weird form of monster or something. Things that don’t even warrant a glossary or bestiary.

I can tell you the first and last enemies I fought in Elden Ring

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I just like the feeling of weight From games have. It feels like every enemy, even skeletons are real threats that you have to actively think about. You have to be aware of your surroundings, their attack pattterns, their special movies (respawning), their resistance and weakness, etc.

You don’t really get that when the enemies just get caught up in a string of never ending combos and just feel like fodder for the next wave of enemies. They lack personality when they are just meant to add a higher number to your meter.

Souls games make you feel like a bad ass because you-yourself are overcoming the enemies by gaining knowledge on how to fight them. It’s not just how good you get at the game as a whole (how to do combos) its about how to fight each individual foe you encounter using the game logic

Like, i couldn’t even tell you my favorite enemy from devil may cry 5, even bosses. They all just kind of blend together, they are all just a weird form of monster or something. Things that don’t even warrant a glossary or bestiary.

Gonna have to 100% agree with gizmo on this one :hubie: Games like Elden Ring and Monster Hunter are way more satisfying to play to me

I tried Persona 5 Strikers and I couldn't stomach that type of combat past the first dungeon. shyt just is not fun to me after a while:yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
NULL

I can tell you never played Devil May Cry on the harder modes

The whole replay value of the game is being able to play through it again with more skills ,and refine your ability to look like an action star with perfect gameplay

there's no satisfication in Dark soul's combat you never learn how to do anything you couldn't do at the begininng of the game, you don't excel at combat, you just learned an enemy pattern through trail and error

Devil May Cry has a training MODE, where you can select every enemy type and practice against them

If Dark Soul's had this mode the game would be easy because you wouldn't have to keep restarting to learn the enemy patterns

and you are talking about learning enemies

you can't combo the enemy in an endless string unless you figure what works against them and you can have to incredible at the game to do those long combos, which most people aren't

All Dark Soul's is just trial and error, you never get skilled at anything, there are no inputs that require skill, dodge roll spam, same two attacks, rinse and repeat, pretend your skilled at a game

there's no comparison, the game is designed to waste your time lmao

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any y’all remember this shyt?

12 years later still no equal.

The game we eventually did get tried to emulate the trailer but it just wasn’t the same.

game aged like milk, so did Ninja Gaiden, have you tried playing those recently

Devil May Cry 4 is a PS3 game and still holds up today, no comparison really

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
game aged like milk, so did Ninja Gaiden, have you tried playing those recently

Devil May Cry 4 is a PS3 game and still holds up today, no comparison really
Metal Gear Rising? Played it last year on PS4 Pro thru PS Now. Bought it last night for Xbox Series X because it’s on sale for $4.99 and gonna play it when I get home from work. It’s my fav action game of all time.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I can tell you never played Devil May Cry on the harder modes

The whole replay value of the game is being able to play through it again with more skills ,and refine your ability to look like an action star with perfect gameplay

there's no satisfication in Dark soul's combat you never learn how to do anything you couldn't do at the begininng of the game, you don't excel at combat, you just learned an enemy pattern through trail and error

Devil May Cry has a training MODE, where you can select every enemy type and practice against them

If Dark Soul's had this mode the game would be easy because you wouldn't have to keep restarting to learn the enemy patterns

and you are talking about learning enemies

you can't combo the enemy in an endless string unless you figure what works against them and you can have to incredible at the game to do those long combos, which most people aren't

All Dark Soul's is just trial and error, you never get skilled at anything, there are no inputs that require skill, dodge roll spam, same two attacks, rinse and repeat, pretend your skilled at a game

there's no comparison, the game is designed to waste your time lmao

You don’t have to restart/die to learn enemy patterns in dark souls you just have to be patient. You go up to an enemy, aggro it, let it throw some moves out, you dodge or block it, and test which one of your attacks work on it, vice versa. It’s about strategy. If you go into souls-games wildly swinging at everything you die, just like real life