Do you need set days to workout and rest for a program to work?

N*E*R*D

In Search Of...
Daps
I'm a night shifter and just signed up with a personal trainer. I'm trying to figure out which 3 days I want to hit the gym.

Long Work Week:
Sunday-OFF
Monday-Work
Tuesday-Work
Wednesday-OFF
Thursday-OFF
Friday-Work
Saturday-Work

Short Work Week:
Sunday-Work
Monday-OFF
Tuesday-OFF
Wednesday-Work
Thursday-Work
Friday-OFF
Saturday-OFF

N*E*R*D

In Search Of...
Daps
No. As long as you consistently workout with good form and exercise selection (along with the appropriate diet and ample sleep), you will see results.

Thanks, bro I'm just going to work out on my off days. As I progress I'll work out more days than 3.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Thanks, bro I'm just going to work out on my off days. As I progress I'll work out more days than 3.

Np. Three days may be sufficient, it will depend on your goals, what workout you're doing, and your recovery capabilities (which can be increased & manipulated over time).

If your job is physical (roofing, construction, etc.) it may not allow you to spend as much time working out as someone who sits on their ass all day.

N*E*R*D

In Search Of...
Daps
Np. Three days may be sufficient, it will depend on your goals, what workout you're doing, and your recovery capabilities (which can be increased & manipulated over time).

If your job is physical (roofing, construction, etc.) it may not allow you to spend as much time working out as someone who sits on their ass all day.

Goals: Get lean, gain some strength, and mobility I''m 35 and a registered nurse so I've let myself go working the night shift

The trainer has me doing PUSH, PULL, LEGS. I figure going from sporadic non-focused workouts to a structured 3 days a week has to give me some type of improvement.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Goals: Get lean, gain some strength, and mobility I''m 35 and a registered nurse so I've let myself go working the night shift

The trainer has me doing PUSH, PULL, LEGS. I figure going from sporadic non-focused workouts to a structured 3 days a week has to give me some type of improvement.

Gotcha. If at all possible, try to increase the number of days to 5. Six days may be too much for you starting off and 7 almost certainly would not allow you to recover; three is a bit too low to run PPL most effectively.

Rotating ULU (upper-lower-upper) 3-4x a wk or full-body lifting routines 3x a wk would have your frequency increased. (Assuming you're not on gear, frequency will be key over simply volume.)

And it would be ideal to put your push workouts in between pull and legs in order to give your erector spinae and lower traps a break; you don't want to squat or deadlift with your lower back already fatigued, especially as a rookie.