Do you have to leave empty space on external hard drives or can you fill them up completely?

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Are there any performance related issues pertaining to external drives that are 100% full? Do they slow down or show errors?

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
What if I was gonna fill it up with Blu Ray rips and only use it as a read-only device?

i was gonna dork out and tell you about your drive being used as a scratch disk to help out your ram but since it was an external, i assumed it was just reading.
programs like photoshop let you allocate HD space for temp memory writes. but that is neither here nor there in your case so go forth and fill your drives with content, breh.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
i was gonna dork out and tell you about your drive being used as a scratch disk to help out your ram but since it was an external, i assumed it was just reading.
programs like photoshop let you allocate HD space for temp memory writes. but that is neither here nor there in your case so go forth and fill your drives with content, breh.
:salute:

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
In theory yes .. the more on the drive the slower it will become. thats because it has more to search through to find your data. thats plus the fact your file data isnt stored consecutively, thats why we defragment .. to get all the pieces of a file closer together.

back to earlier.. the more data the longer it takes to search .. example. you can find the 2 of hearts much faster if all you have is the hearts in your hand versus all red cards, an entire deck or even worse multiple decks.

then you're still gonna be limited to the speed of your connection (usb2 or 3 or lightning or etc)

but .. you probably cant detect the delay anyway so fill 'er up

but i also leave a little space so files can be moved around easier.

Last edited:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Are there any performance related issues pertaining to external drives that are 100% full? Do they slow down or show errors?
Unless you are completely indifferent about them slowing down, I would try to leave 10 to 20 prevent open so the drive has room for defragmenting. Fragmentation will slow the drive down worse than anything, and cannot defragment without scratch space to move stuff around in.