Do movies that pass the Bechdel test tend to be better than movies that don't?

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
Thats mostly for award shows. No ticket goer really gives af about it. It all depends on the story and word of mouth

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

NO.

If a movie/tv show got 2 broads in it, that aren't the main characters, yappin about something that ain't related to the plot - 99% of the time - IT'S TRASH.

Not because it's 2 females on some BS, but because it has nothing to do with the main story.

That's like having 2 white dudes in the middle of a John Coltrane bio pic talk about if adding prunes to the potato salad is better than just plain ol raisins.

Like we've seen time and time again, the key to having representation is not tacking on some side characters to diversify things up, but to give those "minorities" and "under-represented" people their own vehicles AND make sure the stories are good.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
If the woman to male ratio is insane, yes. There's nothing worse than watching someone where the women bytch and moan about 2 guys to the point where it feels like they just stare at walls all day when not on camera.

Movies that past that test tend to have almost fully realized characters. Does that make the movie better? Not really but it makes it easier to watch.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
NO.

If a movie/tv show got 2 broads in it, that aren't the main characters, yappin about something that ain't related to the plot - 99% of the time - IT'S TRASH.

Not because it's 2 females on some BS, but because it has nothing to do with the main story.

That's like having 2 white dudes in the middle of a John Coltrane bio pic talk about if adding prunes to the potato salad is better than just plain ol raisins.

Like we've seen time and time again, the key to having representation is not tacking on some side characters to diversify things up, but to give those "minorities" and "under-represented" people their own vehicles AND make sure the stories are good.
...why would two woman characters talking have nothing to do with the main story? :dahell:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
...why would two woman characters talking have nothing to do with the main story? :dahell:

That's essentially what they're asking for.

Most movies have male leads doing stuff. Everyone in the film basically is talking about them/what they're doing.

So to pass the Bechdel test, 2 chicks in the same movie need to talk to each other about something unrelated to any man in the movie...

It's like 2 chicks at work gossiping during a staff meeting.

That's what they want to see.

Lots of examples here.

You can read the ones that pass, and ask yourself if it made the movies better.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
That's essentially what they're asking for.

Most movies have male leads doing stuff. Everyone in the film basically is talking about them/what they're doing.
I'm pretty whatever on the issue, but your entire position is that 'movies star men and everyone should be talking about them' which...is on some caveman shyt, but whatever...I'm not going to do research because I don't really care.

I think it went without saying that the two women in this imaginary test should be talking about the story of the movie itself :heh:

BuckFilly

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
pg
If I wanted to watch 2 or more women talk about shyt, I’d turn on the view or a cooking show :camby: