Do computer components really get damaged from static electricity in your fingers?

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Dismantling my gaming PC to transport it. Do I need to use that anti-static wrist band as I work? Do I need to put my motherboard and shyt in an anti-static bag or will an ordinary plastic bag do?

Help me, brehs :lupe:

FcKuPaYmE

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Use a paper bag if u cant get antistatic bags. But a pc shop will give you some for free. Also yes you can damage motherboard with static from hands. You dont need antistatic wristband. Just stay away from carpet and touch something metal before you start working.

Brer Dog

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Dismantling my gaming PC to transport it. Do I need to use that anti-static wrist band as I work? Do I need to put my motherboard and shyt in an anti-static bag or will an ordinary plastic bag do?

Help me, brehs :lupe:

just don't do it on carpet and make sure you touch something metal before touching anyting inside the PC. And you can use paper bags.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
just don't do it on carpet and make sure you touch something metal before touching anyting inside the PC. And you can use paper bags.
I put on latex gloves, touched the metal legs of my table, and touched the metallic pc case before starting, am I gucci?

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
They can. A wrist strap is a sure way to prevent static damage but you could also touch a piece of metal to discharge excess charge and more times than not you'll be fine.

I've built several computers and handled computers parts an infinite amount of times since I was a kid, and I'm now in my 30's, and never had a part get damaged from static electricity and never used a strap personally.

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
Don't worry too much about it, I've never had any problems, and none of my friends either. Never used a strap.

Ruining something due to static is a lot more rare than people will lead you to think. As long as you not working on a carpet in wool socks or some shyt you'll be good.

Make sure your case is grounded and touch it often to get rid of any static that might be building up.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I always use anti static gloves, a wristband, and an anti static floor mat when working on my PC. I’m very paranoid about that shyt. However, it’s actually pretty rare to to damage your components with static shock. JayzTwoCents did a video where he stood on carpet, didn’t use any anti static protection, touched all the components with his bare hands (even directly on the cpu), and nothing happened. Everything was completely fine :yeshrug:

Last edited: