Disney to Stop Selling Physical Media in Australia... US coming soon?

TDUBB

All Star
Daps
The beginning of an end for physical media? Once they stop selling over here in the US and all the other major companies follow suit, that'll probabley be the end for physical media for sure. Best Buy don't really sell them anymore. The Wal-Mart section is dead. There might have one section if your lucky. But yeah, the good ol'days of buying blu-rays and 4K's is near.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
fukked way to drive people on over to Disney+, the same service that’s hurting them financially. Already noticed them skimping out on features like Dolby Vision and their Atmos mixes. 20th Century had some quality flicks out last year that I’m still waiting on physical releases for. :unimpressed:

I know the market for them were already dying over there, but sheesh. Disc is so much better than streaming it’s not even funny. Quality is one thing…ownership is another. Don’t gotta worry about a show getting pulled left and right from one streaming service to another.

TDUBB

All Star
Daps
fukked way to drive people on over to Disney+, the same service that’s hurting them financially. Already noticed them skimping out on features like Dolby Vision and their Atmos mixes. 20th Century had some quality flicks out last year that I’m still waiting on physical releases for. :unimpressed:

I know the market for them were already dying over there, but sheesh. Disc is so much better than streaming it’s not even funny. Quality is one thing…ownership is another. Don’t gotta worry about a show getting pulled left and right from one streaming service to another.

Exactly isn’t Disney already in debt? There not doing too hot at the theaters as well. All Disney physical media releases have always been half assed. Those steel covers for the artworks are trash. Same with the Fox releases. It’s sad.

To me Sony has always been top notch in terms of Blu ray and 4K. They put in way more effort.

But yeah I aleays preferred to own my movies and unlike some people I actually care about picture/audio quality that you won’t get from streaming.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Exactly isn’t Disney already in debt? There not doing too hot at the theaters as well. All Disney physical media releases have always been half assed. Those steel covers for the artworks are trash. Same with the Fox releases. It’s sad.

To me Sony has always been top notch in terms of Blu ray and 4K. They put in way more effort.

But yeah I aleays preferred to own my movies and unlike some people I actually care about picture/audio quality that you won’t get from streaming.
Australia’s piracy rates are already sky high too. Good luck to Disney.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The beginning of an end for physical media? Once they stop selling over here in the US and all the other major companies follow suit, that'll probabley be the end for physical media for sure. Best Buy don't really sell them anymore. The Wal-Mart section is dead. There might have one section if your lucky. But yeah, the good ol'days of buying blu-rays and 4K's is near.

Yeah they do. Most physical media is sold online. Best Buy still sells exclusive steelbooks and shyt. You can buy them and then sell them for more later on. There's also a lot of niche houses that put out physical bluray and 4K releases of older movies. They usually include new special features and shyt. There's a whole community dedicated to it.

It'll just be niche. The reason why Disney is probably doing this is to gain subs for Disney+ but it ain't working.

JNew

Superstar
Daps
Where still decades away from that.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Based on how cyclical things are, studios would realize in a decade that making physical media makes them more money

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Quality is one thing…ownership is another. Don’t gotta worry about a show getting pulled left and right from one streaming service to another.
Been saying this for years about music and video games, people just get so caught up in the marketing and "everyone else is doing it" that they end up ruining shyt for all of us in the long run :unimpressed: still downloading all my music and making my own playlist, I refuse to pour jelly on myself depending on streaming services

drifter

Superstar
Daps
They've already started the primer for it in the states. The Little Mermaid's advertised as digital only multiple times in the same commercial with no mention of physical release Sep 19. Unless you Google you'd think it's not hitting physicals at all