“Discounts Don't Matter...When the Whole Gang Gon' EAT"" Official 2024 NY Knicks off-season Thread

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I don’t disagree that if you switch Jalen with a top-5 player that we’d be viewed different. But I don’t think that changes the fact, you can win chips with undersized guards as star players. Becky and many other nba media talk about Brunson like he can’t have the ball at the end of a close game; and that’s definitely not true. Those are the possessions where you need “the guy” and I can only think of a handful of guys I’d rather give the ball (two of which are also small guards in Dame and Donovan).

The mvp thing, I think is a faulty assumption. Steve Nash robbed MVP awards from more deserving players. AI, another small guard was a top-three MVP vote getter. Chris Paul has been top-five in MVP voting a lot in his career (runner up to Kobe one time). Ja got 7th two years ago and would have been higher last year if didn’t go John Wick on Instagram Live. Also, Brunson got one vote last season and Donovan Mitchell came in 6th.

I do agree that there’s an assumption about winning with small players. But I can name a few undersized PGs with rings that played significant roles in their championships. Tony Parker being the big example. I just think winning a ring is rare for everybody; and undersized players are automatically an outlier, so of course they’ll have less examples of success than average nba builds.

I agree that Brunson could be a key PART of a championship team. That’s why I think this entire discussion gets lost in the sauce. That tweet is flawed as hell cause plenty of teams have let small guys lead. Dame had a team built around him for years in Portland, Fox has a team built around him now in Sacremento. Trae Young has a team built around him in Atlanta. And the one thing these great players all have in common is that they all end up coming short late in the playoffs cause it’s just easier to stop them then if they were AS good offensively but 5 inches taller.

I genuinely feel like Jalen Brunson and a guy like Jimmy Butler are on the same tier offensive talent wise. At their healthiest, it’s just gonna be harder to stop Jimmy from getting to his spots than it is Jalen.

TP is a good reference though. Would you still argue that the team’s focus and identity was still Duncan’s even though Tony went off that series? A young and coming Kawhi won Finals MVP too (probably cause his buckets came easier).

Edit: It’s very possible that everyone on my side of the argument is just playing the results though.

Last edited:

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I agree that Brunson could be a key PART of a championship team. That’s why I think this entire discussion gets lost in the sauce. That tweet is flawed as hell cause plenty of teams have let small guys lead. Dame had a team built around him for years in Portland, Fox has a team built around him now in Sacremento. Trae Young has a team built around him in Atlanta. And the one thing these great players all have in common is that they all end up coming short late in the playoffs cause it’s just easier to stop them then if they were AS good offensively but 5 inches taller.

Sorry can't take you seriously talking Dame had a team built around him in Portland
What team?
Start naming the great players they paired him with

Portland wasted that man's damn career is what they did

Trae & Swipa are 25 & 26, are they supposed to win titles immediately? Wtf :dead:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Sorry can't take you seriously talking Dame had a team built around him in Portland
What team?
Start naming the great players they paired him with

Portland wasted that man's damn career is what they did

Trae & Swipa are 25 & 26, are they supposed to win titles immediately? Wtf :dead:

Your argument is that it’s just a coincidence that the only players that ever had real championship caliber teams built around them were above 6’4”. And that’s fine, I just don’t agree. Jimmy carried a just as mid Miami team to the finals twice.

My point is it’s easier to build around a great wing or center than it is a small guard. We’re seeing it now as Knicks fans. The Blazers had to be really specific with the type of players to put next to Dame and those athletic defense shooters are hard as fukk to come by.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
She’s not wrong at all. The facts are the facts.
There are no facts.

There’s no evidence you couldn’t win with Brunson.

What the hell is a 1A anyway.

Brunson is among the best half court scorers in the league. In a 7 game series he has the potential to outscore anyone while closing games.

Last edited:

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
no pun intended, but the Knicks have very fresh white uniforms, and the blues are I'll too