Digital Foundry: The Touryst on PS5 is the first game to run at native 8K@60 FPS on a console

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Shin'en Multimedia's brilliant game - The Touryst - is now available for PS4 and PS5 consoles and it is now confirmed as the very first native 8K rendered game on the new generation of consoles, running beautifully at 60 frames per second no less. That's right: according to our discussions with the developer, the game internally renders at 7680x4320 - no temporal super-sampling, no reprojection, no checkerboarding, no AI upscaling. It's full-on 4320p.

All of which brings us onto the elephant in the room. The Touryst on Series X also has super-sampling down to 4K from a higher resolution, but it is 6K instead (5760x3240, to be precise). Bearing in mind how close the machines are, why is this the case? Typically, in the PC space, to get a faster GPU, manufacturers produce 'wider' designs that run at the same clocks as less capable parts - or even slower. Xbox Series X follows the same pattern. Its GPU runs at a slower clock, but should be more capable overall as it has many more compute units. Shin'en tells us that in the case of its engine, the increase to clock frequencies and the difference in memory set-up makes the difference. Beyond this, rather than just porting the PS4 version to PS5, Shin'en rewrote the engine to take advantage of PS5's low-level graphics APIs.
We’re getting there…..*looks up price of 8k TVs”

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Nice. So the PS5's fast and narrow design is responsible for this. :wow:

Said it before that fast and narrow has its advantages over slow and wide (this has its advantages too). People were in denial about that and instead wanted to push the "last minute clock speed boost to keep up" narrative.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I wish Digital Foundry was able to go into further detail on how they were able to achieve this.

What we know is that PS5 is a pixel pushing monster (by console standards) when programming to its strengths, so I guess this engine relies on raster performance which is handled by geometry engine as opposed to rasterizing their triangles based on compute performance (which is what most engines do).

Anyways, 8K/60 is no joke, even for a simple game like this.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Y'all really hyped for this bs? :mjlol:
giphy.gif