Denzel Washington's Role in Gladiator 2 Revealed

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
The Original Man and the First Gods
"As for Denzel’s character… There were businesses of gladiators who could indeed earn their freedom if they stayed alive. That was the deal. So we went right into that, in-depth. Where did he come from? How was he taken? He was branded with marks and registered with a brand on his chest as a slave. So that’s how he comes into the story. He’s a rich guy who’s still carrying a grudge."
:francis:

What say you all?

Last edited:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I mean, historically speaking, it's pretty accurate.

I don't wanna be one of those "race was different back in those days" guys, but if you take that quote in its totality, especially the end that states "He's a rich guy who's still carrying a grudge," it has the makings of a good character.

Race wasn't super important to the Roman's, and once you earned wealth and were considered a Roman, you were a Roman.

And if there's an actor I wanna see stunt on people but still have the seething rage of a black man despite his current circumstances its Denzel.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
Im sure if Denzel felt the role was demeaning and painting a wrong picture he wouldn't take it. As the poster said above, it makes a good complex character

Edit: Not only that you failed to post the entire section referencing his character :dry:

“Academy Award-winning actor Denzel Wasngton is set to join forces once again with director Ridley Scott for Gladiator 2. Scott recently provided insight into Washington's character in an interview with Total Film magazine. He portrays a "rich guy" simmering with a grudge against his oppressors. The film also promises to delve into his past, exploring the circumstances of his capture and branding as a slave.”

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
Denzel was his brother’s main actor and is a legend, I’m assuming it’ll have a spin on it to make the role not :mjpls: