Denzel about to team up with them Gilroy boys

Jermio

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Denzel Washington is eyeing the lead role in “Inner City,” a legal drama written and to be directed by Dan Gilroy.

The project is being billed as a character study in the vein of Paul Newman’s 1982 classic “The Verdict,” and could land two-time Oscar winner Washington back in the awards race.

The script is hot off the presses and hasn’t been shopped to distributors yet. It will be sent out around after Labor Day, and coming after a summer of lackluster sequels, this original story with an A-list star is expected to draw competing bids. Several big players, including Netflix, have been tracking the project.

“Inner City” takes place in Los Angeles, the familiar gritty setting of “Nightcrawler,” which was Gilroy’s directorial debut after three decades of screenwriting. That 2014 film, starring Jake Gyllenhaal as a troubled crime paparazzo, grossed $32 million domestically on a $8.5 million budget.

Jennifer Fox is producing “Inner City.”

Washington has been Gilroy’s top choice for the role for some time, but the actor didn’t want to make any decision on upcoming projects until after he had finished directing and starring in the big-screen adaption of “Fences” for Paramount. When that movie wrapped earlier this summer, Washington had been weighing several other scripts too, including J.C. Chandor’s “Triple Frontier.”

Washington can next been seen in Antoine Fuqua’s remake of “The Magnificent Seven,” which willopen this year’s Toronto Film Festival on Sept. 8.

Denzel Washington Circling Dan Gilroy’s Legal Drama ‘Inner City’ (EXCLUSIVE)

:banderas:

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so this is happening :yes:

from his interview with Deadline

Denzel Washington Q&A: Building ‘Fences’ & Lessons From Poitier, Eastwood, Spielberg, Tony Scott

Does any of this changing shape of stars lead you to alter your path?

I’m busy. I’m trying to take care of August Wilson right now. That sounds a little pretentious, but you know I’m in that world [with his other plays]. And I’m booked for a couple years anyway. We’re going to do another Equalizer in 2018. I’m doing a film in the spring called Inner City. Dan Gilroy, this great writer who did Nightcrawler and directed it, it’s his second film. This is his second film.

Nightcrawler was a crazy ride.

Oh, and this is a good one too. He really likes those dark corners of LA. And I play a character… I call it Cornel West with Asperger’s. He’s this lawyer stuck in the Civil Rights era, only it’s now, and he still dresses like it’s the ’70s with a big afro and a little Asperger’s going on.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Colin Farrell in Talks to Star Opposite Denzel Washington in Dan Gilroy’s ‘Inner City’

Justin Kroll
Film Reporter@krolljvar
colin-farrell.jpg

JUSTIN LANE/EPA/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK
JANUARY 31, 2017 | 04:00PM PT

Colin Farrell is in negotiations to co-star with Denzel Washington in the legal drama “Inner City” from “Nightcrawler” director and scribe Dan Gilroy.

Sony recently acquired the package that Gilroy wrote and will helm. Cross Creek will co-finance the film under its Sony deal, along with Charles King’s Macro and Lone Star Capital. Jennifer Fox is producing with Escape Artists’ Todd Black and Cross Creek’s Brian Oliver.

RELATED
Colin Farrell In Talks to Star in Sofia Coppola’s ‘Beguiled’ Remake (EXCLUSIVE)

Washington plays a hard-nosed liberal lawyer named Roman J. Israel, who’s been fighting the good fight while others take the credit. When his partner has a heart attack, Israel suddenly takes on the role of the firm’s frontman. He soon uncovers details about the crusading law firm’s history that run afoul of his values of helping the poor and dispossessed, and finds himself in an existential crisis that leads to extreme action.

Farrell would portray another attorney at the firm.

Farrell received rave reviews for his performance in Yorgos Lanthimos’ dystopian black comedy “The Lobster,” and also appeared opposite Anthony Hopkins in the supernatural thriller “Solace.” He most recently starred in the “Harry Potter” spinoff “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.”

He also recently wrapped production on Sofia Coppola’s remake of the classic Clint Eastwood pic “The Beguiled,” opposite Nicole Kidman, Kirsten Dunst, and Elle Fanning.

Farrell is repped by CAA and LBI Entertainment.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
^hated that movie so much, it couldn't decide if it wanted to Jack tango and cash or lethal weapon, so fukin derivative.Standing and talking with Walhberg also made denzel look like a legit grandpa
I call it Cornel West with Asperger’s. He’s this lawyer stuck in the Civil Rights era, only it’s now
:patrice:I hope these devils haven't coerced brother denzel into some counter productive (to the culture) type project. Shyt sounds like a behind the curtain look on what the right call a "race hustler"

Last edited:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Man, 'The Verdict' is a hell of a bar to set.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
He's going for that 3rd oscar again.:wow:

Might be a stacked year for lead performances. Gary Oldman got his Winston Churchill flick coming out, DDL got his flick with Paul Thomas Anderson dropping too. And Tom Hanks has the Papers with Spielberg dropping probably all in time for competition.