Defining the true #2 Theory....

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
This is going along with the current Kyrie thread. And this is pretty simple to me...

Guys who showed they could win league MVP or win a championship as a team's best player, are not real #2's. There isn't a single MVP winner in NBA history, not one, who wasnt the best player on his team, the year he won MVP...

2s have been MVP finalists historically on stacked teams, but not a single 2 has ever won league MVP. It doesn't happen. So if you're asking if ______ is a #2, if he ever even once won a league MVP, he's a #1...

If you're asking if ______ is a 2 but he was the best player on a championship team, he's a 1. All 1's aren't created equal; for instance if Tatum wins this title there isn't a soul alive who thinks he's a better player, historically or present, than Jokic. But he's a 1, so if a guy was ever the best player on a title team, he's a 1...

There are plenty of All-Timers who won championships as 2s, 3s, or role players. If that same guy won a championship as a 1, he's not a real 2. If that same guy won an MVP, he's not a real 2. He's a 1 who won a title(s) as a 2 either BEFORE he developed into a 1, or AFTER he was no longer good enough to be the best player on a championship team...

Here's a list of some All-Timers who won championships as 1s and/or MVPs, but also have titles as 2s or lesser, on their resume:

•Kareem (won 3 of 6 rings as a 1, but 3 that he wasn't the best player)
•Magic (2 of 5, not the 1)
•Kobe (3 of 5, not the 1)
•Russell (3 of 11, not the 1)
•Duncan (1 of 5, not the 1)
•Shaq (1 of 4, not the 1)
•Oscar (#2 on his only ring but he's a league MVP, he's not a true #2)
•Steph (2 of 4, not the 1)
•Dr J (#2 on only championship, but he's a league MVP, not a true #2)
•Robinson (#2 and less on both rings, but he's a league MVP, not a true #2)

I could keep going because there are others. So that category is kind of its own space, like "greatest players who were 1s but also won big in lesser roles"...

Ultimately, a real #2 is a guy who:

•he also is not a league MVP
•a guy who can't lead a championship run as a #1

As examples, league history is full of guys who are 2s, but in the context of, "who are the greatest 2s of all time" like 1s, these guys also need a title to their name, and often multiple rings. But, they aren't capable of being the best player on a champion, they aren't capable of being an MVP...

This is why, despite assertions that Kyrie is a "1b" or some other flimsy ass term, he's very clearly a #2. We're 13 years in with him, we know who he is. And it's why another ring could catapult him into the convo of GOAT #2's because he's excelled in this role...

He unequivocally did not excel as a 1. The few years he was a 1, he was always a 2 masquerading as a 1----->and to be clear league history is full of those dudes too...

Brad Beal was the best player in Washington for years. He's not a real #1, we all know it. He was playing the part because the team sucked. NBA history is full of those guys too!

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Let me clarify something real quick too:

If you have zero rings, but also zero MVPs, but you can/have led a Finals run as a #1, you are a #1. #2's can't lead a Finalist...

This may be a controversial take, but Jimmy Butler has led TWO Finals runs as a #1. He's a 1. Again, there are degrees of 1, he's not the level of 1 Bird is, but he's a 1...

Jimmy Butler may be better suited in a 2 role, but he's still a 1. 2s do not lead championship runner-ups...

Similarly, Jerry West, 0 MVPs, his only ring he was a #2. But he led 3 Finals runs as a #1, he's a 1...

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
This may be a controversial take, but Jimmy Butler has led TWO Finals runs as a #1. He's a 1. Again, there are degrees of 1, he's not the level of 1 Bird is, but he's a 1...
So Chauncey Billups is a 1 to you? Made it to the finals twice and won one.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
#2 GOAT candidates
•Scottie Pippen: 6 rings as #2, no Finals runs as a 1, no chips as a 1, no MVPs

•John Stockton: 2 Finals runs as a #2, no rings, no MVPs

•Kevin McHale: 3 championships, 2 as a #2, no MVPs, no Finals runs as a 1

•Ray Allen: #3 on his only ring, but he was a 1 on playoff teams, he's a 2. No MVPs or Finals runs as a 1

•James Worthy: #2 on two of his 3 rings, no MVPs, no Finals runs as a 1

•Anthony Davis: #2 on his only ring, no MVPs, no Finals runs as a 1

•Robert Parish: #2 on his first title, no MVPs, no Finals runs as a 1

•Pau Gasol: two rings as a #2, no MVPs, no Finals runs as a 1

•Hal Greer: #2 on his only ring, no MVPs, no Finals runs as a 1

•Sam Jones: #2 on 4 champions, no MVPs, no Finals runs as a 1

This is the class of player, All-Time great 2s, who Kyrie ascends within, with one more championship run...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
This is not some serious revelation:mjlol: :deadrose:
During the pandemic there was a Bob Cousy thread on here where people tried to say he was never the best player on his team. This is a revelation to some people...

This board has argued Nash wasnt the best player on those deep Suns runs...

Yes this is a revelation to some people...
So Chauncey Billups is a 1 to you? Made it to the finals twice and won one.
Well, same way I think Butler is more naturally suited to a role as a 2, I think Billups is more suited to a role as a 2. But he was the face of two Finals runs. We can talk about roster construction but every great player needs a roster that best maximizes their skillset. Nobody on that team was better than him.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Ray Allen has 2 rings
That's right, I always forget he was on Miami until mf's talk about The Shot 🤣 he was clearly role player, Paxson status on Miami. But yeah I always forget that title for him...

He was a role player on his second ring, a 3 on his first, but to me he's on the list of All-Time twos because of what he was in his pre-Boston career. I guess I could make more of an argument for Manu on the GOAT 2 list given Manu was the second best player on a champion ('05), and excelled as a 3...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Where does Piru Pierce fit into these definitions? :jbhmm:
Pierce was a 2 in '08 but I think he was clearly the best Celtic in '10. KG was in decline, Allen was never really better than him in the years they played together, abd Rondo wasn't the best player yet even though I think was the best Celtic on the '12 ECF run...

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
This long winded nikka with multiple baby mamas think he be dropping knowledge!l :pachaha: all you do is type essays you weren’t around

Scottie pippen ain’t shyt! Jimmy butler>>>>>> Scottie pippen more 40/50 point playoff games,better defense & better resume

The goat won 6 championships with a souped up igoudala.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Pierce was a 2 in '08 but I think he was clearly the best Celtic in '10. KG was in decline, Allen was never really better than him in the years they played together, abd Rondo wasn't the best player yet even though I think was the best Celtic on the '12 ECF run...

2010 Celtics were an ensemble cast. The best player in any particular series depended on matchups.

1st round against the Heat, Ray Allen was lighting them up.
2nd round against the Cavs, Rondo carried them while Pierce got completely shut down by Bron
WCF/Finals, Pierce was the best player on the Celtics (partly cause Ray got hurt at the beginning of the Finals)

And that's just offense. The heart of their defense was Garnett, Rondo, and Perkins, with Tony Allen and Sheed providing big sparks in limited minutes off the bench.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Let me clarify something real quick too:

If you have zero rings, but also zero MVPs, but you can/have led a Finals run as a #1, you are a #1. #2's can't lead a Finalist...

Jimmy Butler may be better suited in a 2 role, but he's still a 1. 2s do not lead championship runner-ups...

Similarly, Jerry West, 0 MVPs, his only ring he was a #2. But he led 3 Finals runs as a #1, he's a 1...
Stfu