Defector steals village bus to return to North Korea, citing difficult life in the South

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Defector steals village bus to return to North Korea, citing difficult life in the South​

Published: 01 Oct. 2024, 11:04 Updated: 01 Oct. 2024, 14:05

A view of a barricade installed in front of the Unification Bridge in Paju, Gyeonggi, in a file photo from 2021. [YONHAP]

A view of a barricade installed in front of the Unification Bridge in Paju, Gyeonggi, in a file photo from 2021. [YONHAP]
A defector living in South Korea stole a village bus and attempted to cross the Unification Bridge in Paju, Gyeonggi, to return to North Korea before being apprehended by police on Tuesday.

According to the Paju Police Precinct, the man, in his 30s, stole a village bus parked in a garage in Munsan-eup, Paju, around 1 a.m. Tuesday. The key had been left in the vehicle.

He was arrested at approximately 1:30 a.m. after driving the bus from south of the Unification Bridge toward the north, ignoring military guards blocking the way. He ultimately crashed the vehicle into a barricade.

The northern section of Unification Bridge is off limits to civilians and can only be passed after presenting a special pass.

The man, who defected from North Korea about 10 years ago, was confirmed to have lived in Sillim-dong in Seoul's Gwanak District until recently.

Police said the man testified his motive was a desire to return to North Korea, citing difficulties in life in South Korea.

He was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time. Police have booked him for further investigation into the case.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Not being told what to do and believe after having that responsibility covered for most of your life is a difficult adjustment as an adult.

not so different from being institutionalized after a decade+ of incarceration. scary the few times i've seen video of some incarcerated people who were briefly free say they prefer prison to the outside.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
not so different from being institutionalized after a decade+ of incarceration. scary the few times i've seen video of some incarcerated people who were briefly free say they prefer prison to the outside.
When I wrote the comment, that’s what I thought of and the Reconstruction after the emancipation of enslaved people in the US.

Of course, the cruelly treated were delighted to figure it out.

skokiaan

African original
Daps
Reppin
One Africa
Americas kink..vote trump in and shut off the rest of the world :francis:...worst is apart form less than 7 states..majority is populated by a bunch of yokels living their worst lives thinking they better than the rest of the world. The irony of trying to shut off your land from people escaping the same problems

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
South Koreans are some of the most vapid, narcissistic muthafukkas you will ever come across
Especially the women :russ:
Them chicks were fukking insane and wouldn’t let me go:mjlol:
So I can understand why buddy wanted to go back to the gulag