Deadlift Help

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
Aaight so I recently decided to deadlift again after reading up on PHAT thanks to @krackdagawd ...anyway I haven really lost much of my strength, (405x4 is my max now) but I was wondering...should I strap up and wear a belt to attempt heavier weights until I can do them raw (dont ask me how :wow: ) or should I just go for 1RMs raw at small incremental weight increases? :lupe:

kingsteve

Pro
Daps
:whoo:405x4 is strong.

I just started to do deadlift.

How much did you start out deadlifting at first?And how long did it take you to get to 405?

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
Its heavy, but I've trained along powerlifters that make me feel real :flabbynsick: plus there's many brehs on the coli that ,more than likely shyt on my numbers too :manny:

I started out with a trap bar, I think it was 270 ish or so...that was back in 2012...I stopped doing it for a while because my bytch ass hated the callouses..then January last year through September I hit them hard...I started out at 135 and worked my way up. At that point I had already been lifting for quite some time and had decent strength so I guess that's why I got up there when I did. So all in all I'd say 9-10 months.

Seeing yourself in a mirror when you deadlift :banderas:
Deadliting when you're already pissed off about something :banderas:

kingsteve

Pro
Daps
Yesterday was the third time i did them and i worked up to 315 x1. Im just trying to incress it ten pounds every week.

Belts and gloves are for p*ssy thats what my brother told me so i dont wear nothing:pachaha:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
Yeah nikkas make fun of me for wearing a belt and using straps so I'm :hamster: about mentioning them.

How much do you weigh btw? I'm 210+ but I want to be doing these numbers when I hit my goal of 180ish.

And keep it up breh

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
If you are doing PHAT use the straps for heavy sessions. It's a tool like anything else but eventually you want to be strong without them.

Just my opinion.

OC's finest

All Star
Daps
Yeah nikkas make fun of me for wearing a belt and using straps so I'm :hamster: about mentioning them.

How much do you weigh btw? I'm 210+ but I want to be doing these numbers when I hit my goal of 180ish.

And keep it up breh

U deadlifting 400+ lbs Raw and dudes gonna clown u for a belt and straps?

:dwillhuh:

What kinda gorilla ass brolic Ronnie Coleman types is u lifting with bruh

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
U deadlifting 400+ lbs Raw and dudes gonna clown u for a belt and straps?

:dwillhuh:

What kinda gorilla ass brolic Ronnie Coleman types is u lifting with bruh
They're professional powerlifters :manny: these guys are deadlifting 750+ raw like nothing. They go for comfortable reps doing my weight like its a warm up.

Dont even dare mentioning wearing the neck cushion for back squats :mjlol:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
I use chalk. Straps and gloves are too much hassle and plus I don't like using condoms. Max I ever did was 545 raw. :yeshrug:using belt my skin starts to hurt. I was around 208.
I've never used chalk and don't know why...:francis:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I've never used chalk and don't know why...:francis:
Yeah chalk is:

but take your time progressing with deadlifts. Anything over 3 plates is respectable, heck 2 plates is good, but injuries are no joke especially when you start entering the 4+ plate range. With that said, my max is 5 plates for reps :win:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

And keep it up breh
I never used a belt or gloves when deadlifting. But chalk is a must just for grip after a certain range. I'm a small dude. 5'9 175-180 ish, and I can hit 405x5 raw, no chalk, with chalk, I can probably add another plate easily.

Belts are typically seen as bad because they cause destabilization of core muscles. Think of it in this plane, Real lifters don't fukk with machines, because it controls the equilibrium.

edit: Basically without going into a bunch of jargon, using a preventive belt, can cause more harm down the line, than not using a belt...

Good form should be your goal.

Last edited:

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never used a belt or gloves when deadlifting. But chalk is a must just for grip after a certain range. I'm a small dude. 5'9 175-180 ish, and I can hit 405x5 raw, no chalk, with chalk, I can probably add another plate easily.

Belts are typically seen as bad because they cause destabilization of core muscles. Think of it in this plane, Real lifters don't fukk with machines, because it controls the equilibrium.

edit: Basically without going into a bunch of jargon, using a preventive belt, can cause more harm down the line, than not using a belt...

Good form should be your goal.

:dahell: you're strong as shyt.

I did a 405 single with straps just the other day. I'm cutting at 170 right now. 5'8" gang in the building

I used to use chalk when deadlifting but I got Kwame brown hands so even with chalk the bar tended to slip.

After months of horrific cuts and near-infections every time I deadlifted I decided to give straps a try. After I banged out 315 for 10 super quick I threw chalk in the bushes. Nothing more frustrating than trying to deadlift and the fukking bar slips, especially when you wanna emphasize the eccentric portion of the deadlift or bang out real rapid sets.

but OP as serious said, don't settle for using belts. Never ever used a lifting belt in my life. Straps are cool because I could give a shyt about my forearms being involved in a deadlift, but your core is a big part of the the squat and deadlift and even overhead presses.

Whenever you inhale deep to brace, you're mimicking what the belt does, which is keep your core tight. Just keep doing them raw and build your core strength up.

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
:dahell: you're strong as shyt.

I did a 405 single with straps just the other day. I'm cutting at 170 right now. 5'8" gang in the building

I used to use chalk when deadlifting but I got Kwame brown hands so even with chalk the bar tended to slip.

After months of horrific cuts and near-infections every time I deadlifted I decided to give straps a try. After I banged out 315 for 10 super quick I threw chalk in the bushes. Nothing more frustrating than trying to deadlift and the fukking bar slips, especially when you wanna emphasize the eccentric portion of the deadlift or bang out real rapid sets.

but OP as serious said, don't settle for using belts. Never ever used a lifting belt in my life. Straps are cool because I could give a shyt about my forearms being involved in a deadlift, but your core is a big part of the the squat and deadlift and even overhead presses.

Whenever you inhale deep to brace, you're mimicking what the belt does, which is keep your core tight. Just keep doing them raw and build your core strength up.

@the bold :dwillhuh: holy shyt that makes perfect sense. My breath control definitely will help stabilize me like the belt.

Catch this rep

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@the bold :dwillhuh: holy shyt that makes perfect sense. My breath control definitely will help stabilize me like the belt.

Catch this rep

:yes: Exactly. Remember that man. Just before you pull on the deadlift, just before you squat, just before you do a heavy OHP—inhale deep and hold your core tight. When you pull, when you push, and complete the rep, breathe out. Repeat.

Breath control is huge