Dave Chappelle Held On To This Joke For 6 Years

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Pre 2000's most comics did the same set for about 3-5 years. They would add and subtract a few jokes here and there, but the core set remained the same. Pre-internet you could tour around with the same jokes for awhile and nobody would notice because by the time that comic came back to your city he would either have a new set, or threw in enough new shyt that you didn't mind the recycled bits, because again, pre internet, it's not like you can rewatch your favorite jokes again from a comic who didn't have an album or tape/dvd out.

Louis CK was one of the first comics to do a new set every year.

Last edited:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pre 2000's most comics did the same set for about 3-5 years. They would add and subtract a few jokes here and there, but the core set remained the same. Pre-internet you could tour around with the same jokes for awhile and nobody would notice because by the time that comic came back to your city he would either have a new set, or threw in enough new shyt that you didn't mind the recycled bits, because again, pre internet, it's not like you can rewatch your favorite jokes again from a comic who didn't have an album or tape/dvd out.

Yeah. When I go to comedy clubs, i find atleast 50% of the material is from last years set unless ofcourse it has been burned on a special.

This is why Standup is the hardest gig in show biz.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Yeah. When I go to comedy clubs, i find atleast 50% of the material is from last years set unless ofcourse it has been burned on a special.

This is why Standup is the hardest gig in show biz.
Especially in today's time when people expect all new jokes every time they see you. This is why Dave is so against cell phones recording his stand ups and goes to extreme lengths to stop it. He knows once his jokes are out on the net, he has to create a whole new set, which people don't realize takes a lot of time and trial and error.

Last edited:

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
Especially in today's time when people expect all new jokes every time they see you. This is why Dave is so against cell phones recording his stand ups and goes to extreme lengths to stop it. He knows once his jokes are out on the net, he has to create a whole new set, which people done realize takes a lot of time and trial and error.
I think that's with any (Big Times) comedian today.

I remember Kevin Hart did the same.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka

The Unibomber was right

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
I remember I saw Dave back in the early-mid 2000s. Flash forward to his 2015 Netflix special (Deep in the Heart of Texas), he did one of the jokes I heard him do back then, and I’m glad because he never did it on any other specials prior to then.

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
I remember I saw Dave back in the early-mid 2000s. Flash forward to his 2015 Netflix special (Deep in the Heart of Texas), he did one of the jokes I heard him do back then, and I’m glad because he never did it on any other specials prior to then.
Are you referring to the Iceberg Slim "Joke" ?

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
Are you referring to the Iceberg Slim "Joke" ?
Not that one, but he did tell that joke when I saw him a different time shortly after he quit Chappelle Show. The joke I remember was the one about him getting extorted. Probably another one as well that I can’t think of.