Dave Chappelle Dishes on Money, Kevin Hart’s Ambitious Career and More

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps
Dave-Chappelle-Live-in-Real-Life-Screening-GettyImages-1463804887-H-2023.jpg

"When it comes to saying yes or no to new opportunities, Dave Chappelle leans on the late Maya Angelou.

On the latest episode of The Midnight Miracle, the stand-up star covers a lot of conversational ground with his Luminary podcast co-hosts Talib Kweli and Yasiin Bey (aka Mos Def), including topics like the merits of awards, the role of money in an artist’s life, Kevin Hart’s ambitious stand-up goals and his own exit from the critically acclaimed Comedy Central series Chappelle’s Show.

Angelou’s name came up during the chat about awards when Chappelle paraphrased Angelou’s much-repeated quote that goes like this: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” He called the metric “almost singular” and said it’s always his go-to.

“There’s two things that I think about: What does that feel like and, of course, the greatest cultural impact, right?” he said during the episode, one that was recorded in front of an audience at the Blue Note Jazz Festival in Napa Valley last summer. He then applied it to awards, specifically music’s highest honor. “Michael Jackson swept for Thriller. He won for every Grammy he was up for, except for one, which was best song. What beat Thriller for best song? Anybody? Does anybody even know? ‘Every Breath You Take,’ by the Police. Take it easy. My point is what difference does it make? The best song is a completely subjective metric.”

On Hart, Chappelle said he’s “very impressed with him as a comedian,” adding that he doesn’t believe Hart gets the credit he deserves for his proficiency as a stand-up. “He’s, like, actually incredibly good at it. But Kevin, from early on, had a very specific notion about who and what he wanted to be, and it was big. You know, he plays stadiums. Everything in his mind is big. It was a choice,” Chappelle explained. “Him being big was a skilled shot. It was a hole in one. ‘I want this.’ He said exactly what he had to say the way he had to say it to be exactly what he wants to be.”

The trio also discussed money with Bey kicking off that segment by saying, “I like money. I love money. Delicious. It goes with everything I want to do. OK? I’m not afraid of money. I’m not ashamed of having money. I’m just not going to do anything for it. I’m not going to betray myself for your money. Because when the money is gone, which it inevitably always is at some point. You can’t die with it. You can’t. Everything that you have will go. What you do have, that you live with, is your own feeling about yourself. Everything is not for sale, everybody pays a price.”

Chappelle said he agreed with Bey’s sentiment and it’s the reason he walked away from his star-making sketch series. “That’s why I quit Chappelle’s Show. If I finished the show under the circumstances at that time, I don’t think I would have ever been the same,” said Chappelle, who previously told Oprah Winfrey that he walked away from a $50 million deal because he grew uncomfortable with the “socially irresponsible” sketches he was doing at the time. “Something inside of me that I needed, I would have had to let go of it for that, and I couldn’t let go of it to keep going.”

Dave Chappelle Dishes on Money, Kevin Hart’s Ambitious Career and Why He Left ‘Chappelle’s Show’[/QUOTE]

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
white people were getting too comfortable quoting his lines and shyt. It happens all the time. They were probably in the boardroom for the next season like "can we get more crackhead skits and also more of those negro moments"?

TM101

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While true, Elon Musk is that white person and they friends now.
I wonder why Dave rides so hard for Elon.
Did Elon support Dave in South Africa after he left Comedy Central?
That is the only excuse my brain can think of.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Ironically Dave Chappelle is more awarded than Kevin Hart or pretty much ANY comedian in modern day history

He literally just won a Grammy for the special that was supposed to get him “cancelled”. Proving that when it comes to awards there’s no rhyme or reason to it, if your gonna get your gonna get it, just continually focus on your craft and if its of the highest quality, you CAN’T be ignored.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The trio also discussed money with Bey kicking off that segment by saying, “I like money. I love money. Delicious. It goes with everything I want to do. OK? I’m not afraid of money. I’m not ashamed of having money. I’m just not going to do anything for it. I’m not going to betray myself for your money. Because when the money is gone, which it inevitably always is at some point. You can’t die with it. You can’t. Everything that you have will go. What you do have, that you live with, is your own feeling about yourself. Everything is not for sale, everybody pays a price.”
:ehh:

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Always talking about Kevin hart

A lot to folks still can’t put their mind around what Kevin has done and cats like Chappelle not being hot when he was making his move allowed him to make a lane that no one can touch now. Kevin knows going backward is not an option so he says fukk it Imma do everything.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
A lot to folks still can’t put their mind around what Kevin has done and cats like Chappelle not being hot when he was making his move allowed him to make a lane that no one can touch now. Kevin knows going backward is not an option so he says fukk it Imma do everything.

Him and Dave are real cool tho.

Kev also said him and Epps patched up shyt and they tryin to put something together movie wise

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
white people were getting too comfortable quoting his lines and shyt. It happens all the time. They were probably in the boardroom for the next season like "can we get more crackhead skits and also more of those negro moments"?
And now Dave is the white mans mouth piece against trannies, a close personal friend of elon musk who is a aparthied hillbilly boer, and one of his closest friends once told black people slavery is a choice and hitler was cool

Seems like dave problem with comedy central was that the white people weren't "comfortable" enough, so he bounced.

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
I wonder why Dave rides so hard for Elon.
Did Elon support Dave in South Africa after he left Comedy Central?
That is the only excuse my brain can think of.

Nah Dave just likes cacs.

Because Dave was also hanging around Joe Rogan. Meanwhile Kevin has Oprah and Tylery Perry as his mentors because he mentioned taking advice from them on how to basically be a mogul.

Dave on the other hand seems to be satisfied just getting laughs from racist cacs because he's "their kind" of Black man :mjpls:

Also he chose to move to rural Ohio to be around a bunch of Trump supporting cacs. :mjpls:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Nah Dave just likes cacs.

Because Dave was also hanging around Joe Rogan. Meanwhile Kevin has Oprah and Tylery Perry as his mentors because he mentioned taking advice from them on how to basically be a mogul.

Dave on the other hand seems to be satisfied just getting laughs from racist cacs because he's "their kind" of Black man :mjpls:

Also he chose to move to rural Ohio to be around a bunch of Trump supporting cacs. :mjpls:

Dave moved to Ohio because thats where his father lived and owned a farm. Dave inherited that farm

Dave also hangs out with BLACK PEOPLE like Talib Kweli & Mos Def (whom he also is in business with) He also goes out of his way to help and support BLACK comedians like Earthquake and Donnell Rawlins, whom he executive produced a series of Netflix specials for.