Dan Harmon Explains Rick and Morty Season 3 Delay

CEITEDMOFO

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

After airing its latest episode in October 2015, producers of Rick and Morty promised the hit show would return in 2016. Then the year came and went without airing a single episode. The production time between the second and third season will stretch into 2017, as series co-creator Dan Harmon admitted that a premiere date is not set.

Speaking at an an event for IndieWire during the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Harmon took the blame for the series delay and boiled it down to creative complications, saying “it’s late because of me.”

“If Justin [Roiland, Rick and Morty co-creator] were here he’d agree,” Harmon elaborated. “He and I would go, ‘Yeah, we fu*ked up,’ and it’s hard to put your finger on how we fu*ked up. Rick and Morty keeps taking longer and longer to write, and I don’t know why.”

He said that he and Roiland have difficulty producing the series, attributing some of the issues to differences between the two creators.

“We have fights all the time and then we have fights about why we’re having fights,” Harmon said. “Well, we didn’t fight during Season 2, that’s why it’s taking longer! All this fighting! So OK, let’s stop fighting!”

Despite showing a sneak peak of the season in December, Harmon could not give a tentative plan for the series’ return.

“I don’t have a release date for Season 3,” Harmon revealed. “It’s not that I know it and I’m not allowed to say it—it’s [Adult Swim’s] domain.”

He was also tight lipped about details of the third season, saying “I don’t want to get murdered outside the building!”

While fans may be disappointed by the news there’s some comfort to be had in knowing the creators aren’t being rushed, either by themselves or the network. Rick and Morty's third season will be ready when it’s ready. Everyone who enjoys the show just wishes it’s sooner than later.

Rick and Morty is Adult Swim's most scientifically accurate animated comedy. Created by Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon, it catalogues the bizarre misadventures of a bored scientific genius/drunkard and his socially awkward grandson, Morty. Their exploits tend to have unintended consequences for Morty's dysfunctional family, especially his unfailingly mediocre father, Jerry. Watch Rick and Morty battle everything from interdimensional customs agents to Cronenberg monsters.

The voice-cast features Justin Roiland as both Rick Sanchez (Justin Roiland) and his grandson, Morty; Sarah Chalke as Rick's daughter, Beth; Chris Parnell as Rick's son-in-law and Beth's husband, Jerry; and Spencer Grammer as Rick's granddaughter and Beth and Jerry's daughter, Summer.

Dan Harmon Explains Rick and Morty Season 3 Delay

OJ Simpsom

Banned
Daps
I forget about this show every year cause of the long ass time between seasons. Is it that hard to make a season or is Harmon just trying to make sure the series doesn't fall off after 2 seasons like Community did.

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I always figured it was pretty hard to write episodes for this show, that's probably what it is :yeshrug:

Also at the end of season 2 didn't they warn us this would happen? I could've sworn they said something like it would be a long delay or never come back or something like that :jbhmm: