Dallas/Houston folks - come chop it up with me

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Texas pretty much seems like the only Southern state I'd live in, and in my "world tour of the US" like to add this as a distant 3rd consideration for my next stop. Come talk to me about each of these cities

- which has a more "urban" feel - i.e. bars, walkable neighborhoods (stop laughing, i know it's texas), artsy areas, theater, quality independent restaurants
- what's the job markets like in both, is houston really just energy/gas/oil
- how many month a year is houston an unbearably hot swamp? what's the annual weather patterns in dallas?
- what the educated black folks looking like in each city? what about diversity, do people stick to their own or do people mesh?
- which city would be better for a transplant?

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
Well I really can only speak strongly for Dallas because while

Uptown Dallas/Greenville has that artsy feel with a gang nice bars and Nice neightorhoods but from what I hear Austin may be the best city for that but I would say Dallas has Houston beat.

Both have good job markets, Houston seems more energy/oil while Dallas seems to be more for technology.

Dallas weather is a clusterfukk. Today its going to be 80 degrees and then tomorrow I think the high is going to be 55. Its never gets too extreme except for the heat but it isn't quite as humid as it is in H-town.

There are plenty educated blacks out here, they are just scattered around. I would say a majority of them end up n the North Dallas are but there is plenty of diversity and once you get to know the are you can find spots for whatever it is you like to do.

As a transplant myself of course I'm biased and say Dallas because I've never have had problems finding a job or affordable housing. Females are abundant and every race damn near out here fukk with black dude and I have never had a problem getting a sack of :smoker:

For me personally H-town is a great place to visit cause I have fam and friends down there. And its perfect cause its basically a 4 hour drive. But I personally wouldn't choose to live there over Dallas and possibly Austin

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Texas pretty much seems like the only Southern state I'd live in, and in my "world tour of the US" like to add this as a distant 3rd consideration for my next stop. Come talk to me about each of these cities

- which has a more "urban" feel - i.e. bars, walkable neighborhoods (stop laughing, i know it's texas), artsy areas, theater, quality independent restaurants....I'd go with Houston on this one. I spend a lot of time in both so I'm giving you an outsiders perspective. My people in H-Town stay on Westheimer and the rest are in the Art District or stuck out in Katy. Both are cool hangout spots to me and offer much more than Dallas as far as what you're looking for.
- what's the job markets like in both, is houston really just energy/gas/oil
- how many month a year is houston an unbearably hot swamp? what's the annual weather patterns in dallas? man, both are hot as fukk and unbearable
- what the educated black folks looking like in each city? what about diversity, do people stick to their own or do people mesh? Dallas seems to have more diversity as far as ethnic groups hanging out together imo....Houston i just don't see enough plus you can't turn your head w/o seeing them ese's
- which city would be better for a transplant?
if I had to move (which I might), Dallas is the move. Can't deal with Houston traffic. I want to get out my rental and stab someone in their fukkin face whenever I'm stuck on 59 or 610...skip the bullshyt and just move to Austin

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Austin seems like it would be cool except I feel like it would be too white for me - I have a friend who moved there and said the cocial scene is definitely people who are into casual bars/bar hopping. It'd be like living in DuPont Circle in DC, The Village/SoHo in NYC, Lakeview in Chicago, or Santa Monica in LA if they were each their own cities. If I wanted that vibe, I'd just go move back home to the Bay

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Austin seems like it would be cool except I feel like it would be too white for me - I have a friend who moved there and said the cocial scene is definitely people who are into casual bars/bar hopping. It'd be like living in DuPont Circle in DC, The Village/SoHo in NYC, Lakeview in Chicago, or Santa Monica in LA if they were each their own cities. If I wanted that vibe, I'd just go move back home to the Bay

Austin is one of the few cities where I can't say anything negative about it. Lord knows if I could move there I would (or San Marcos at worst). Any other places outside of Houston/Dallas you looking at? I'm trying to decide between Seattle/Tacoma, San Antonio or Colorado Springs

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I stay in Houston but the older I get the more I'm thinking about moving to Austin. This city is getting too big and you can't move anywhere after a certain time. Everytime I go to Austin I end up staying an extra day or two b/c of how nice and tranquil it is with not nearly as many people.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
I live in Dallas nikka and it is the Best overall city in the US

Now i love New Orleans
but the N.O is only good for fun(the economy and cost of living is too much)

so Dallas is #1 for a nigg

i like Houston but shyt is to dangerous, traffic is horrible

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Austin is one of the few cities where I can't say anything negative about it. Lord knows if I could move there I would (or San Marcos at worst). Any other places outside of Houston/Dallas you looking at? I'm trying to decide between Seattle/Tacoma, San Antonio or Colorado Springs

Either back home to the bay or back to the east coast, would prefer dc to NY, but NY has more job options for me.

Except prices in the bay are :damn: my girl moved there from NY and was like they got studios near the ballpark going for $3500/month. NOPE, SF does not warrant that type of rent

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Dallas is way better than Houston to live. I've lived in both cities for over 4 years. don't want to go back to Houston

HoustonHeat

In and out
Daps
Reppin
Houston
:what: at suggesting Austin over Houston. Are you just basing this off relays?

Austin seems like it would be cool except I feel like it would be too white for me

You hit the nail on the head, and it isn't normal white people or cool hip, San Francisco white people either. Trust me, I lived there for over 15 years. There's literature online about large black flight FROM Austin due to how the town treats black people. Great place to visit, but couldn't wait to move out.

When I was living in Austin, I would get excited when a new Target opened up. Venues and shopping are limited, traffic is terrible, diversity only exists around the universities, but scenery is very pretty. Men of color who look good/have stable incomes AND realize that the world is bigger than their block are slowly starting to live or move there, but is still in very small numbers and they usually date white or Asian.

Petty Crocker

Looking GREAT in my 30s
Daps
:what: at suggesting Austin over Houston. Are you just basing this off relays?

You hit the nail on the head, and it isn't normal white people or cool hip, San Francisco white people either. Trust me, I lived there for over 15 years. There's literature online about large black flight FROM Austin due to how the town treats black people. Great place to visit, but couldn't wait to move out.

When I was living in Austin, I would get excited when a new Target opened up. Venues and shopping are limited, traffic is terrible, diversity only exists around the universities, but scenery is very pretty. Men of color who look good/have stable incomes AND realize that the world is bigger than their block are slowly starting to live or move there, but is still in very small numbers and they usually date white or Asian.

Agree with this..I was so bored in Austin...I'm from Houston so of course I'm biased and will rep my city...Dallas would be my second choice ....I would only move there if there was some sort of incentive for me to do so.