D.C. Teacher Partners With Legendary Backyard Band for a New Go-Go Rendition of the ABCs

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

D.C. Teacher Partners With Legendary Backyard Band for a New Go-Go Rendition of the ABCs​

May 30, 2024
Kendall-Maloney-Bunker-Hill.jpeg

We need more teachers like this!

Kendall Maloney, a teacher at Bunker Hill Elementary School in Northeast Washington, D.C., is known for her innovative teaching methods. She consistently finds ways to engage her students in Black history and their academic curriculum, rallying the community to bolster her efforts

Now Ms. Maloney is back, this time with a new song featuring the District’s legendary go-go band, Backyard. Inspired by a previous deck of cards she made highlighting historical Black history facts in D.C., Maloney enrolled her students and the Backyard Band in the creation of a go-go rendition of the ABCs.

“It all started from last year when I did my 72 deck of cards on everything Black facts in D.C. I decided that I wanted to create an extension from this project, and I wanted to go on and make a song with Backyard Band,” Maloney told Fox 5 DC.

The esteemed educator revealed that 26 of her students played a pivotal role, contributing to the creation of the card deck that featured information about significant people, places, and facts in D.C. These students then selected 26 of those cards, which formed the foundation of the new ABC song. They lent their voices to the catchy hook crafted by band member Weensy, with Anwan Glover (The Wire), also known as Big G, leading the rap verse.