crooked judge sends kids to jail for cash finally convicted

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
I was reading this on my Facebook and I'm just awestruck :dwillhuh:
How can you really be THAT evil? I mean kids man? really? :snoop:
http://rollingout.com/criminal-beha...aking-2-million-for-sending-children-to-jail/
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/us/09judge.html?ref=markaciavarella&_r=0
As a result, Ciavarella would sentence offenders with small offenses to months and, at times, years behind bars. He once sentenced a teen to three months in jail for creating a MySpace page that mocked her school’s assistant principal. Ciavarella also sentenced another teen to 90 days in jail after a simple schoolyard fight.

But after a federal investigation, it was discovered that Ciavarella and his colleague, Judge Michael Conahan, received more than $2.6 million from privately run youth centers owned by PA Child Care. In 2011, Ciavarella was convicted of racketeering and sentenced to 28 years in prison. He was also forced to pay $1 million in restitution.
:pacspit:
mark2.jpg

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
Bigger Problem Is What Are They Doing To The Privately Run Centers Tnat Are Paying Off This Scum. I Want Everyone Involved To Be Jailed. This Is Another Reason Why Privately Ran Jails Are A Bad Ideas.
I concur, they need to shut that place down and have everyone involved locked up!
Robert J. Powell, a wealthy personal-injury lawyer from Hazleton, Pa., and longtime friend of Judge Conahan, wanted to know how he might get a contract to build a private detention center. Judge Ciavarella thought he could help.

The two men agreed to meet and, according to prosecutors, somewhere in that conversation a plan was hatched that courthouse workers and county officials would later describe as a “freight train without brakes.”

First, Judge Ciavarella put Mr. Powell in touch with a developer who also happened to be an old friend, Robert K. Mericle, to start work on finding a site. Then, in January 2002 — the month Judge Conahan became president judge, giving him control of the courthouse budget — he signed a secret deal with Mr. Powell, agreeing that the court would pay $1.3 million in annual rent, on top of the tens of millions of dollars that the county and the state would pay to house the delinquent juveniles. And by the end of that year, Judge Conahan had gotten rid of the competition by eliminating financing for the county detention center.

“They were unstoppable,” said Judge Chester B. Muroski, who sent a letter to county commissioners raising concerns about detention costs, only to be transferred days later to another court by Judge Conahan. “I knew something was wrong, but they silenced all dissent.”

Other dissenters were also steamrolled.
Edit2: the clown who was on the other side (Mr. Powell) claims he was coerced, and was cooperating with the police
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/28/us/28judges.html?ref=us