Critique my workout (Weight Loss Journey)

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've officially gotten :flabbynsick:. I've gained too much weight in the past two years, clothes getting tighter. I had to get a new belt yesterday :sadbron:. Im 230 5'11, want to get to 205 as soon as possible. I lifted for 4 years but stopped and honestly it was just glamor muscles, arms and chest. But due to this I still have a solid frame.

I got a workout plan from boy who plays d2 football, its there off season workout regime. I figured it was a good start.

Monday Chest, Legs, Triceps
Crunches 2x50
Bench press 3X10
Squats 3X10
Incline db press 3X10
Leg press 2X15
Hammer Chest 2 X 15
Leg Curls 3 X 10
Db Flat Flys 2 X10
Leg Extensions 3 X10
dips or Close bench press 3 X 10
Hell raises 3 X15
Tricep Exntension 3 X 10
Twisted Crunch 2 X 25

Tuesday Back, Shoulders, Biceps

Crunches 2X50
Olympic Complex 3-2-1 (3X) No clue what this is or how to do it
Lat Pulldowns 3 X10
Shrugs (Bar or DB) 3 X10
Rows 3 X 10
Db push Jerks 3 x 10 Never done these
Bicep Curls 3 X 10
Shoulder press 3 X 10
Gripper 3 X 15
Shoulder raises 3 X 10
4 Way neck 2 x 10 Never done before
Reverse Crunches 2 X 25
Reverse hypers 2 X 15

Cardio ?

Wednesday OFF

Want to do some type of cardio. Intense HITT maybe?

Thursday Chest, Legs, Triceps

crunches 2 X 50
Incline press 3 X 10
Step ups 2 X 10
Db Bench 3 X 10
lunges 2 X 10
Hammer Chest 2 X 15
glute ham raises or leg curls 2 X 15
Db incline flys 3 X 10
Leg Exntension 3 X 10
Dips or CG Bp press 3 x10
Heel raises 3 X 10
Tricep pushdowns 3 x10
Hanging knee raises 2 X 10
Cardio ?

Friday Back, Shoulder Biceps
Crunches 2 X 50
DB Complex 3-3-3 3X
Rows 3 X 10
Up Right rows 3 x 10
Lat pulldowns 3 X 10
Shoulder press 3 x 10
Bicep Curls 3 x 10
Shurgs 3 X 10
Gripper 3 X 15
Shoulder rises 3 x 10
3 way neck 2 x 10
Weighted Crunches 2 X 15
Hyper Exntensions 2 x 15
Cardio?

Saturday Sunday OFf
Will probably do pullups or some kind of cardio

I hate being in the gym all day so I'll try to superset atleast 4 workouts a day.

Do you think this is a good workout to lose weight?

Obviously i need cardio, tried elliptical which was cool had a heart rate around 160 for 10 mins to start workout 10 to finish. I think I can do something more intense for that 20 mins though to lose calories. Need Advice

Diet
No clue where to start on Diet or how many cals i need to eat. I like chicken but it gets old after a while.
I LIKE TO DRINK, which is the driving reason for my weight gain. i need to figure out how to incorporate this in my diet plan.

I need help man Any advice on where to start is greatly appreciated. Hope that workout plan can help some people out too.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I feel like u are doing WAY TOO MUCH

For a cut u just want to maintain.... no need to be doing all those damn sets. U do more sets in 1 day, than I do in a whole week (or damn close)

Cutting is largely calories in calories out so definitely dial in your diet and figure out how much cardio you want/need to do. And just lift to maintain strength... save the volume for body parts that take more volume to grow. For me that's chest and arms. Keep it simple and set realistic goals (no more than ~1.5lb/wk)

Daps
yeah, just by skimming over that shyt, that is way too much, ull be in the gym 3 hours. You should focus on the usual big lifts {squat, DL, Bench, OHP, rows) and 1-2 accesories each workout, especially since youll be cutting and wont have the energy to do all that volume.

Like bruh before me said, cutting is 90% diet. You can do all the working out you want but if you aren't cutting calories and getting in the right nutrients you aint gonna lose shyt. Putting weight on you can be sloppy as fukk and still see results, not so much with losing it.

Last edited:

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
yeah, just by skimming over that shyt, that is way too much, ull be in the gym 3 hours. You should focus on the usual big lifts {squat, DL, Bench, OHP, rows) and 1-2 accesories each workout, especially since youll be cutting and wont have the energy to do all that volume.

Like bruh before me said, cutting is 90% diet. You can do all the working out you want but if you aren't cutting calories and getting in the right nutrients you aint gonna lose shyt. Putting weight on you can be sloppy as fukk and still see results, not so much with losing it.
Ive done this workout and its an hour tops including 20 mins of elliptical.

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Are u not resting between sets

U should still cut volume on a cut. U won't have the endurance or recovery capacity

Yeah i always rest between sets, I just dont bs the rest of the time. Plus supersetting cuts down on time, i still havent tried that yet but right now the workout is and hour maybe an hour and ten.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I only do five exercises now and I'm getting stronger and losing fat at a better rate than ever before in my life

bench
squats
deads
military press
barbell row

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
as someone said, more squats, for sure. squat until you can't fukking squat no more

in terms of diet, i would really suggest limiting your sugar and alcohol in-take. eat more green veggies and fruits. an apple before a meal reduces how much you eat in total by almost 25%. brown rice, veggies, protein source. if ur gonna drink try to avoid beer and go for clear liquor

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
It looks like a lot... But it's not really.

The sets seem very low, high rep. If you're doing light-moderate weight it should go pretty normal

My only thing is never heard anyone doing legs and chest same day. But i dont know, I'm not his strength/conditioning coach

But it seems pretty solid as long as you're not trying to bulk up. Only thing I would tell you is to cut back on the carbs. I've already lost like 8lbs since doing it for about a month, but I've gained more muscle I believe. I work out twice a day, 3x's a week and might add or subtract a workout here and there. Also started boxing training pretty regularly, so take that into account

But cutting carbs help a lot I think. Staying away from breads and sweets, sodas and etc as much as possible. I might carb load if I plan on going heavy the next day but that's it.

And try alternative cardio. Running is cool, but I like kettlebell swings, jumping rope, etc.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I'm also assuming it won't take you 10 minutes to do exercises that are like 2x15 or something too.

If you do every exercise listed at a 10 minute pace it's just barely over 2 hours... But like I said I'm assuming you won't

And also, look to superset some of those, especially the low set/high rep ones. Might be for a better overall workout for you

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm also assuming it won't take you 10 minutes to do exercises that are like 2x15 or something too.

If you do every exercise listed at a 10 minute pace it's just barely over 2 hours... But like I said I'm assuming you won't

And also, look to superset some of those, especially the low set/high rep ones. Might be for a better overall workout for you

Yeah thats what Im trying to get to, supersetting atleast 4 of them. the workout is just 40 minutes if i dont lolly gag around. Im honestly surprised theres ppl on here that just heavy lift, there's no way they are hitting everything they're supposed to

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Yeah thats what Im trying to get to, supersetting atleast 4 of them. the workout is just 40 minutes if i dont lolly gag around. Im honestly surprised theres ppl on here that just heavy lift, there's no way they are hitting everything they're supposed to
Word

It sounds like the typical football workout. Especially the neck workouts. I might copy some of this too... I need to lighten my load for boxing

And yea man, I like to drink somewhat too which is the ONLY reason for my weight gain. Just cut out the beer/sodas, and pace yourself I guess. I stick with distilled liquor, usually clear (tequila is actually supposed to be good for metabolism I heard) but it's not supposed to have as many carbs

But honestly, you gonna have to cut back. Especially on the brown, white wine, carbonated beers, soda mixes (get diet if anything) etc...

Dominoes

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Myself
Far as diet:
Make a healthy dinner that'll last 2-3 days at a time. A good mix of chicken breast, fish, brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta, lentils, sweet potato, quinoa, beans, peas, broccoli, spinach, asparagus is what I try to do. Sometimes I'll have chicken burgers, and Jamaican food has veto power whenever it's available

For Lunch + snacks:
Chicken wraps (whole wheat or spinach) available.. with assorted veggies, tuna mixed in whole wheat pasta, eggs, turkey bacon, almonds, peanuts, chia and flax seeds, pb+j sandwiches, blackberries, apples, pears, bananas, carrots, veggie or protein shake

Breakfast:
Cereal
Oatmeal
Eggs
Veggie or protein shake
Fruits
Chia and flax seeds

I do eat some junk as well, but that may be 1 or 2 days out the week. And I still eat healthy on those days..

Drink more water. Cutting juice and soda will help if you haven't already. Or maybe saving those for cheat days..
Not really to do with diet, but getting in that sauna will reap benefits as well.

Hope this helps