Crimes of the Future

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Is by far the strangest film I've seen in a long time. And I've watched a lot of A24, Neon and foreign films.
Dont watch this is you are squeamish
I just got back from seeing it, I had a WOAT level theater experience. I had to go to the really shytty theater in town because Cinemark wasn't showing this film. Surprised there wasn't already a thread for this considering it's the legendary David Cronenberg.

1. The lights in the theater never turned fully off, we even told an employee and they did nothing
2. There was some guy in our showing who had Tourettes and kept clearing his throat and snorting really loudly as his ticks, he literally sounded like Viggo Mortensen's character in this movie and it was difficult not to laugh after a while
3. I was with my brehs who kept joking and laughing at some of the stuff in the movie
4. Multiple people took their girl to go see the movie on some date night shyt, I saw like 3-4 couples walk out towards the end of the movie

I thought it was strange but honestly I thought shyt like "the lighthouse" weirded me out more. Kristen Stewart was really good in this movie even though the characters and writing are a bit flat. She did really well and elevated what was on the script. I still need to see her Diana movie.

I was surprised to see Howard Shore did the score for the movie, it was definitely good on that end, but nothing mind blowing.

I can't say I fully understood this movie and its message aside from humans are polluting the planet and their bodies. Maybe that's all the message was, but it didn't really resonate.

Honestly I wish I would've just got high and watched this alone at my crib. Might have to do that when it is out on VOD.

TheJet

Superstar
Daps
Was the Lighthouse pretty abstract and nonsensical as well? I kept expecting this shyt to go somewhere or some of the plot points to pay off and.....NADA. we get a candy bar?

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Was the Lighthouse pretty abstract and nonsensical as well? I kept expecting this shyt to go somewhere or some of the plot points to pay off and.....NADA. we get a candy bar?
I found the lighthouse more weird & hard to follow but it was way better written & acted, Dafoe turned in an Oscar caliber performance. There's videos where people break down the mythology, but at the end of the day you were basically watching two lighthouse workers go insane together in black and white. I guess this was less weird just because I kind of expected it from Cronenberg. But yeah, there wasn't really any payoff with this movie. I get the messaging with he micro plastic stuff but that's not enough to write a whole movie about, but I definitely could've missed stuff since the theater experience was so distracting. I'm definitely down to give it a rewatch.

White City Black

Ol’ Basquiat head ass
Daps
Reppin
Chicago's South Shore
Went and saw this last night. Heard about it but didn’t watch any trailers.

I looked up the two scenes that folks at the Cannes Festival supposedly walked out of. The first, okay I can see that although we kinda had to have that in order to further the “story” we got later on. The second…I mean probably gross for some folks but ehh :patrice:

Cronenburg probably got that six minute ovation because it was his first film in nearly a decade, it had Viggo starring, it was artsy, etc. This shyt wasn’t worth all of that. I’m actually not knocking the film…I was intrigued by that current world (that wasn’t really explained), as well as Saul’s revelation (which we won’t witness the aftermath of).

One of those “lots of unanswered questions” joints but it’s unique enough to be worth watching at least once

Thief's Theme

All Star
Daps
this was like a lot of Cronenberg's other films... he likes sci-fi body shyt

I enjoyed it, but I like weird movies

Lea Seydoux's t*ts were lovely too

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
If A24 is your litmus test for weird then yeah this probably gonna be too much for you

Jcotton1

All Star
Bushed
Daps
How did you see this? Meaning is this some type of art house small screen theater release?

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
:trash:

@PoorAndDangerous I don’t know what it is, but it seems like the majority of reviewers I know also had terrible viewing experiences with this one. Saw someone mention that they had two guys constantly circling the theater during the credits roll. Just strange.

Fortunately, my audience was fine. I was just bored as hell with this, despite the grand score from Howard Shore. Not even Léa Seydoux’s titties could save it. Also agree on Kristen giving a pretty solid performance - it’s nice to see her and Pattinson break away successfully from the Twilight series.

I get why the film ended the way it did, but it felt more like we were headed into an intermission. Pretty underwhelming.

I’m looking more forward to what David’s son has cooking up, to be honest.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Went and saw this last night. Heard about it but didn’t watch any trailers.

I looked up the two scenes that folks at the Cannes Festival supposedly walked out of. The first, okay I can see that although we kinda had to have that in order to further the “story” we got later on. The second…I mean probably gross for some folks but ehh :patrice:

Cronenburg probably got that six minute ovation because it was his first film in nearly a decade, it had Viggo starring, it was artsy, etc. This shyt wasn’t worth all of that. I’m actually not knocking the film…I was intrigued by that current world (that wasn’t really explained), as well as Saul’s revelation (which we won’t witness the aftermath of).

One of those “lots of unanswered questions” joints but it’s unique enough to be worth watching at least once
When I first heard the news of folks walking out on this, my interest immediately piqued.

Turns out they probably just walked out due to boredom. The body horror in this was actually pretty tame for a David Cronenberg flick.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I’m watching it now. shyt is just whatever. I just recently got into Crone’s work and enjoyed what I’ve seen, but this feels like some try hard to be different and grotesque film.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I’m watching it now. shyt is just whatever. I just recently got into Crone’s work and enjoyed what I’ve seen, but this feels like some try hard to be different and grotesque film.
I feel like Coppola’s Megalopolis is gonna wind up in the same realm.