COVID-19 Pandemic (Coronavirus)

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
This data is from a UK paper using all available information from the Chinese cases - not taking the government numbers at face value but also interpolating based off of people being tested coming out of China which allowed them to estimate how many asymptomatic and undiagnosed cases there were.

xUvIX5N.jpg

When adjusted to UK age demographics it comes out with a overall estimated death rate of 0.9%, though uncertainty puts it 0.4% to 1.4%. That doesn't mean that the same rates will apply to Italy, to USA, etc. But it's a pretty good starting place and I think the numbers seem reasonable from what I've heard of the USA cases.

I thought you meant the US numbers specifically. People have been talking about the broader numbers throughout this thread. It's a moving target but isn't Italy seeing a mortality rate of about 6%?

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So much misinformation, mixed with half truths and fear mongering even on sites like this, the rest of social media.. but I digress on that..

On the ground I’m an rPH & ER CC @ two major hospitals here, (children’s Dallas, Baylor).

In pediatrics, no confirmed cases but a few presumptive positive tests that ultimately came back negative. I’m sure this just in not in a major city like
Dallas but everywhere. ER’s are just flooded, every person with a cough thinks they have it..

Most are staying at the hospital and getting critical needs pay due to staffing shortages.. I haven’t been home since Monday, been at the hospitals..

Trials are going on for Hydroxychloroquine which treats lupus but it did help some in Washington state and NY. Tamiflu as well.

The good news is a lot of people may have it and be asymptomatic and it does nothing to them, but if they spread it to the wrong person the results can be different..

As a healthcare professional the thing that has me irritated is the misinformation, let’s focus on the US. Yes the number of corona cases are rising and that’s ALL YOU HEAR on this site from posters, news, etc...

NO one is talking about the overwhelming vast majority of people have positive tests and are recovering in a week or less... You can skew numbers for headlines.

When more tests are readily available and people follow the restrictions, we can get a good handle on this in a month or so.

There are a lot of moving parts but it’s hard to treat viral infection like this if you don’t have the built up immunity to handle it which is why flu shots are stressed, you have a TYPE A, B, but this like a version of type C..

Take care of yourself. Are you on Twitter? If so, something like this is extremely helpful to get out there.

Knucklehead

HMFIC
Daps
Reppin
Montreal #byrdgang
You always hear educators say one of the biggest changes they’ve seen is that a lot of parents now take the kids side over theirs.

These kids have grown up to now be the type who had only heard the word Pandemic on The Wire and still couldn’t properly define it but believe their opinion on coronavirus is important and it is within reason to question experts who do this for a living.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I thought you meant the US numbers specifically. People have been talking about the broader numbers throughout this thread. It's a moving target but isn't Italy seeing a mortality rate of about 6%?

I don't think the mortality rate in either Italy or the USA really means anything because way too many people still getting missed with the tests. In Italy they were getting pounded hard before they really knew what was hitting them. In the USA we have no clue what mortality looks like because the vast majority of people who tested positive had it recently and we don't know the outcomes of their cases yet. Personally I'm paying a lot more attention to the trends in the straight death numbers than I am to the case numbers, the case numbers basically just tell you where the deaths will start but testing is so erratic that I don't think you can actually calculate a lot off of them.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
So much misinformation, mixed with half truths and fear mongering even on sites like this, the rest of social media.. but I digress on that..

On the ground I’m an rPH & ER CC @ two major hospitals here, (children’s Dallas, Baylor).

In pediatrics, no confirmed cases but a few presumptive positive tests that ultimately came back negative. I’m sure this just in not in a major city like
Dallas but everywhere. ER’s are just flooded, every person with a cough thinks they have it..

Most are staying at the hospital and getting critical needs pay due to staffing shortages.. I haven’t been home since Monday, been at the hospitals..

Trials are going on for Hydroxychloroquine which treats lupus but it did help some in Washington state and NY. Tamiflu as well.

The good news is a lot of people may have it and be asymptomatic and it does nothing to them, but if they spread it to the wrong person the results can be different..

As a healthcare professional the thing that has me irritated is the misinformation, let’s focus on the US. Yes the number of corona cases are rising and that’s ALL YOU HEAR on this site from posters, news, etc...

NO one is talking about the overwhelming vast majority of people have positive tests and are recovering in a week or less... You can skew numbers for headlines.

When more tests are readily available and people follow the restrictions, we can get a good handle on this in a month or so.

There are a lot of moving parts but it’s hard to treat viral infection like this if you don’t have the built up immunity to handle it which is why flu shots are stressed, you have a TYPE A, B, but this like a version of type C..
@dtownreppin214 @shopthatwrecks