Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
  • Introduction @2 minute
  • Full Episode of Space Traders @2 min 45 sec
  • Panel discussion @36 minute mark

=========================

Film Screening Cosmic Slop: Space Traders talk back with Reginald Hudlin and Charles Johnson​

March 5, 2021
Cosmic+Slop.jpg

Join Wa Na Wari for an online viewing party of Cosmic Slop: Space Traders, a 1994 science fiction anthology series that aired on HBO. Directed by Reginald Hudlin, Warrington Hudlin and Kevin Rodney Sullivan, Cosmic Slop was hosted by Parliament lead singer George Clinton and also starred Casey Kasem, Robert Guillaume, and Anthony Anderson.

Cosmic Slop is a three-part anthology combining fantasy and topical social issues in The Twilight Zone-style stories from a black perspective. In Part I: Space Traders: A conservative African American politician must choose between his people’s survival and appeasing his white colleagues when space aliens propose to share their profound knowledge in exchange for all black people on earth.

A talk back will take place directly after the screening with producer/director Reginald Hudlin and longtime collaborator, author Charles Johnson.

url

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
They probably mentioned this but this was originally a short story by Derrick Bell. A lot of interest (and vitriol) over this and other works have resurfaced since Bell pioneered critical race theory.

Which is funny bc I met Derrick Bell when he was alive and he is way more conservative than many people think, especially the CRT=Bolshevism types.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
They probably mentioned this but this was originally a short story by Derrick Bell. A lot of interest (and vitriol) over this and other works have resurfaced since Bell pioneered critical race theory.

Which is funny bc I met Derrick Bell when he was alive and he is way more conservative than many people think, especially the CRT=Bolshevism types.
In what ways if you remember?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
In what ways if you remember?

He was not a diehard integrationist. He said if he could do school integration over again, rather than the Brown v. Board decision and integrating Blacks into White schools, he would have retained Black control of the Black schools and required equalized funding and targeted efforts to close the achievement gap and once the gaps between schools narrowed then people could go to whatever school they wanted to in the district.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
He was not a diehard integrationist. He said if he could do school integration over again, rather than the Brown v. Board decision and integrating Blacks into White schools, he would have retained Black control of the Black schools and required equalized funding and targeted efforts to close the achievement gap and once the gaps between schools narrowed then people could go to whatever school they wanted to in the district.
I see, some of the same thoughts I've been having over the last few years.