Copa América 2024 [6/20-7/14] “Coming 2 America”

Who Wins The 2024 Copa América?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

concise

Veteran
Daps
I don’t remember Euros and Copa being this seamless from day to night in terms of coverage / games on TV…

The Copa América and Euros were normally held in different years. CONMEBOL decided to have the Copa América during the same calendar year as the Euros back in 2019.

2021 was the first year that they were intentionally held at the same time.

Because Fox somehow obtained the rights to both and started marketing that fact, at least.

They happened to both be held in the same year in 2004 and 2016 but those were different eras. 2004 Euros were mostly PPV and 2016 they were on ESPN. I do not believe 2004 Copa was even available in English.

Toussaint

Struggle, challenge, and rise to struggle again
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The US team in 1995 were not ”a team with literal semi-pros.” :what:
Paul Calgieri was playing for the Los Angeles Salsa and Mike Burns is listed as playing for “U.S. soccer”.

Here is Alexi Lalas talking about it

Lalas: Unlike '93 and '94, a lot of us had gained valuable experience. I was coming back from Italy, and for myself and others it was our first real professional environment that we were in, from a club perspective.

Some people don't realize that when I stepped on the field at the World Cup in '94, I had never been on the books at a club. It was a backwards-ass way to go about it. Then I'd gotten that experience after the '94 World Cup, and so we were coming back, we were feeling our oats. We felt that we had progressed, evolved individually, and it was an opportunity to show in a tournament that we had gotten even better, and that '94 was just the starting point and certainly wasn't a fluke.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Paul Calgieri was playing for the Los Angeles Salsa and Mike Burns is listed as playing for “U.S. soccer”.

Here is Alexi Lalas talking about it

Lalas: Unlike '93 and '94, a lot of us had gained valuable experience. I was coming back from Italy, and for myself and others it was our first real professional environment that we were in, from a club perspective.

Some people don't realize that when I stepped on the field at the World Cup in '94, I had never been on the books at a club. It was a backwards-ass way to go about it. Then I'd gotten that experience after the '94 World Cup, and so we were coming back, we were feeling our oats. We felt that we had progressed, evolved individually, and it was an opportunity to show in a tournament that we had gotten even better, and that '94 was just the starting point and certainly wasn't a fluke.
That was 1994.

Copa America took place in 1995, numb nuts.

Outside of Burns, the rest of the players on that squad were professional players on books at other clubs. That’s including Caligari. The American Professional Soccer League was a pro league.

You don’t have to lie to kick it.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Because Fox somehow obtained the rights to both and started marketing that fact, at least.

They happened to both be held in the same year in 2004 and 2016 but those were different eras. 2004 Euros were mostly PPV and 2016 they were on ESPN. I do not believe 2004 Copa was even available in English.
Yup. I think Copa America 2016 was the first broadcasted in English in America, which was the first to be held outside of South America. (Again, in the USA)

The other amazing thing is Argentina and Brazil started taking the tournament seriously again in the late aughts after not for the prior decade.

Toussaint

Daps
Reppin
Michigan
That was 1994.

Copa America took place in 1995, numb nuts.

Outside of Burns, the rest of the players on that squad were professional players on books at other clubs. That’s including Caligari. The American Professional Soccer League was a pro league.

You don’t have to lie to kick it.
You think a league where the average attendance was 3,000 and the owner was an optometrist is paying pro wages :mjlol: because they called themselves a professional league :laff:. Cagliari even donated his wages to victims of the OKC bombing.

I said there were semi-pros on the team and that’s true. The year before most of the team were semi-pros.

Coming in here all sassy. Ain’t you supposed to be dying in 130 degree heat on a hajj. fukk outta here loser. :umad:

concise

Veteran
Daps
Yup. I think Copa America 2016 was the first broadcasted in English in America, which was the first to be held outside of South America. (Again, in the USA)

The other amazing thing is Argentina and Brazil started taking the tournament seriously again in the late aughts after not for the prior decade.

Hold on, I forgot ... in 2015, youtube was live streaming the matches in English :laugh:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I said there were semi-pros on the team and that’s true. The year before most of the team were semi-pros
Your post was about 1995 Copa America. Why do you keep bringing up the 1994 World Cup?

The 1995 Copa America team were a team of professionals sans one player. That’s a fact. You can keep being loud and wrong but the facts ain’t on your side.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Hold on, I forgot ... in 2015, youtube was live streaming the matches in English :laugh:
I didnt know that and didn’t start thinking of YouTube like that back then.

i just know 2016, it was on Fox.

Toussaint

Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Your post was about 1995 Copa America. Why do you keep bringing up the 1994 World Cup?

The 1995 Copa America team were a team of professionals sans one player. That’s a fact. You can keep being loud and wrong but the facts ain’t on your side.
Stfu you pedantic bytch :mjlol: I said the team had semi-pros and they did. Wasn’t even the point of the post which was to highlight Uruguay’s soccer obsession that they could geek out about a bunch of relative nobody’s. Take your sassy pink turban wearin ass the fukk out this thread trying to start some shyt.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
A team with literal semi-pros yet the Uruguayans treated them like royalty.
This is what you said.

They had one player you can class as that. The rest were playing professionally and had their profiles risen because of the prior World Cup. You are mad because you don’t like facts. Hence why you keep mentioning 1994 for a 1995 tournament, numb nuts.

Toussaint

Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is what you said.

They had one player you can class as that. The rest were playing professionally and had their profiles risen because of the prior World Cup. You are mad because you don’t like facts. Hence why you keep mentioning 1994 for a 1995 tournament, numb nuts.
Nah you just a baby back bytch trying to start an argument like a little hoe :mjlol: but I’m always with the shyts.

2 players were semi-pro. No team with an eye doctor for an owner and 3,000 people in atrendance is fully professional. Caligieri even said he only played to get in same for the national team. Even donated his entire salary, you think that was his main job. :russ:The rest were barely on their first club contracts ever. Lalas was literally sitting in his couch about to quit soccer before the U.S. coach called him to come try out. You think someone who got a try out with Arsenal would be worried about his future if the U.S. had a professional league in America to go back to?

The Los Angeles Salsa was an American soccerteam based in Los Angeles that played in the American Professional Soccer League (APSL) and the USISL Pro League. The club played on the campus of California State University, Fullerton at Titan Stadium in Orange County, California, from 1993 to 1994. They also played home games at Weingart Stadium on the campus of East Los Angeles College in Monterey Park, California, in 1994 and various high schools in 1995

Dudes playing at a community college and high schools and this MF idiot talking about it’s professional :dead:

Don’t even know why you’re in this thread. Algeria ain’t in CONCACAF :childplease:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
2 players were semi-pro.
No. One player was unattached.

The other played on a pro side.

and 3,000 people in atrendance is fully professional.
Around that time, professional teams in England played in stadiums that were less than that in capacity. The size of the arena doesn't mean it isn't a professional team. :what:

They play in Ligue 2 and currently have a stadium of just over 4,000. :mjlol:

You don't know what you are talking about.