Constantine 2: First Details Surface for Keanu Reeves' Sequel

KingsOfKings

π•„π•’π••π•π•šπ•“ π•šπ•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒π•₯
Daps
Constantine-2005-Poster-Keanu-Reeves.jpg

"Constantine 2 screenwriter Akiva Goldsman has teased that the upcoming sequel will continue themes that were established in the original film.

Speaking with Deadline, Goldsman discussed how the new film will expand on the themes introduced in the 2005 original such as maintaining the barrier between earth and the evil creatures that are on the other side. "The character is very much Keanu [Reeves] and the way he and Francis [Lawrence] saw the world of good and evil, and the wonderful and authentic noir where there is a world behind the world of good and evil coexist with our world right up close," Goldsman explained. "Beyond that, we are still discovering it as I am writing the script."

Goldsman also attributed Warner Bros. finally greenlighting Constantine 2 to Reeves, saying, "This is a credit to Keanu, who endlessly has said, 'this is the character I want to return to.' Finally, he said it enough times that it stuck." Reeves has previously stated that he begged the studio "almost every year" for another installment in the DC franchise.

The first Constantine movie was released by Warner Bros. in 2005, starring Reeves as supernatural exorcist and demonologist John Constantine, who helps a troubled LAPD detective (Rachel Weisz) prove that her twin sister's death was not a suicide but something more. The film, which also starred Shia LaBeouf, Tilda Swinton and Djimon Hounsou, among others, received mixed reviews from critics but was a minor commercial success, grossing $230 million worldwide off its $100 million budget.

Constantine 2 Will Be an Elseworlds Film

Despite a recent rumor suggesting Constantine 2 had been canceled, the film remains on track at Warner Bros. and the newly-formed DC Studios. In addition to Reeves and Goldsman, Lawrence will be back in the director's chair to helm the upcoming sequel, which is expected to release under DC Studios' Elseworlds label. Other upcoming DC films that will be part of the Elseworlds brand include Matt Reeves' The Batman Part II and Todd Phillips' Joker: Folie Γ  Deux, which recently debuted its first official look at Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn.

Reeves is currently busy promoting the upcoming fourth chapter in Lionsgate's John Wick franchise, which opens in theaters on March 23. John Wick: Chapter 4 will pick up after the cliffhanger ending of 2019's John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum, seeing Reeves' titular assassin on a mission to dismantle the High Table, a council of twelve crime lords that govern the underworld's most powerful criminal organizations.

The Constantine sequel does not yet have a release date."

Constantine 2: First Details Surface for Keanu Reeves' Sequel[/QUOTE]

KingsOfKings

π•„π•’π••π•π•šπ•“ π•šπ•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒π•₯
Daps
I believe he is.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
I always enjoy watching the 1st movie. I will be looking forward to this

DangerousBreakableClownanemonefish-size_restricted.gif
Exactly, I'm always in the minority but this is one of my most rewatchable comic based films. He wasn't as much of a scumbag as Constantine should be but he managed to capture the cynical, doomed essence of the character.

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
Exactly, I'm always in the minority but this is one of my most rewatchable comic based films. He wasn't as much of a scumbag as Constantine should be but he managed to capture the cynical, doomed essence of the character.
Exactly!! My thoughts exactly.

Especially the doomed essence of the character.