Colleagues, why don't more elite athletes take time off?

concise

Veteran
Daps
Seeing that Jordan thread got me thinking.

Why don't more of the top athletes take a year off to go out and refresh themselves? Or for those that care so much about their brand, go to Europe or Asia for a year and style on inferior competition, building goodwill and marketing opportunities in a new market?

The only place where I think this probably wouldn't work too well would be the NFL, since grabbing all the money you can is so important, but it worked for Ricky Williams and likely helped him become a better person.

It didn't take away from Jordan's legacy, right? Can we think of more reasons why it doesn't happen?

904Lurker

R.I.P Young Dolph
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville,Fl
This is a dumb ass thread......why won't they walk away millions of dollars that they won't ever retrieve.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
its rare when a guy can take time off and than come right back into the seem of things Jordan is the exception

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Taking a year off in your prime is a huge risk. You gotta take advantage of your opportunities when your earning potential is at its highest.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
As an elite athlete, you only have a VERY finite amount of time to play at the highest level. You don't want to waste that time sitting at home (or playing another sport) unless you have to.

And fukk the money, most of these guys love their sport too much to stop playing when they can still play at the highest level.

And Jordan is pretty much the only guy who willingly took time off and came back and ended up still at the best.