coli rappers

Harry Sax

Formally mr 321
Daps
question to the rappers...when u record do u usually dub or triple up the verses??? mainstream music sounds so clear like the nikka only recorded it once...is that an attribute to the engineer who mixed it perfect or do u think ppl only record once???

i ask because on some of the songs i have u can kinda tell that the verses and hooks have been dubbed

That Singer Guy...

TiMeLeSs Moderator
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Knoxville, Tn
question to the rappers...when u record do u usually dub or triple up the verses??? mainstream music sounds so clear like the nikka only recorded it once...is that an attribute to the engineer who mixed it perfect or do u think ppl only record once???

i ask because on some of the songs i have u can kinda tell that the verses and hooks have been dubbed

mastering eq, compression, reverb and delays is your best friend. Thats all it takes.

choc city

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The secret to making multiple passes sound like one is Vocalign. These days its the most used plug in there is.

Mask and Da Glock

Posting From Rehab
Daps
I have a few friends who are in audio engineer programs at their universitys and they use me rapping/speaking/whatever sometimes...I can't see how adding an extra layer of vocals would help clarity. However, I've been in a "studio" with people who know very little about what they're doing and that's like their go to thing.

choc city

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stacking helps the vocals cut through the mix a little better to avoid too much EQ. With a good mic you really shouldn't HAVE to EQ vocals. Without getting to nerdy and in depth, it changes the way the sound hits your ears and you perceive it as "clearer" because its easier to hear more of the entire frequency range of the vocals without them being covered up by other instruments.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
dog, i be sitting there looking at my cousin mix my sh1t, all the Equalizing and Reverbing and sh!t, all that sh!t looks like Matrix code to me. good luck trying to catch on

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
im fukkin wit audacity tryin to get my rap shyt on..and my shyt soundin like i recorded it while speakin into my radio lol i got the expensive usb condensor mic to...

i need a nikka to make a video or somethin,cause i cant find shyt lol

That Singer Guy...

TiMeLeSs Moderator
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Knoxville, Tn
ill post what my stuff sounded like when I started and where im at a year later, this shyt takes time and im sure I havent put more than 100 hours into in that whole time.

scientist have found out that if you put 1500 hours into something then you become a master at it and that goes for anything.

I put 60-70 hours into this mixing shyt and I would say im pretty good now, just imagine if yall put 5 hours a day until the 1st of july :yes:

anyways ill be back to post where i started and where im at now.

Singh

All Star
Daps
Industry dudes have there shyt mixed and compressed to sound like the way your are describing it takes a lot of work.

i don't got a million dollar studio so I try to use the least amount of effects on shyt, because the more you fukk with your vocals it leads to a drop in quality at times.

make sure you have a decent sound card & condenser microphone to make sure you vocals are clear (no robotic sounds and glitch ass shyt fukking up ur verse)

for me though, on some normal shyt

record the verse
then go over with dubs
then throw in adlibs
add a light reverb to those three and then adjust the volumes on them (making sure shyt ain't too high or too low)

if you want to go more complex

record the verse twice........pan one to the left......pan the other to the right....
record the dubs twice.......pan one left, pan other right
drop some adlibs.......
add reverb and adjust the volumes

here's some old ass tracks of mine that I mixed back in 2006

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKcSHRWTBSw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKcSHRWTBSw[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3aHq22OYOI&feature=plcp"]The Network - Streets On Lock (Feat: Cracc) - YouTube[/ame]

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
ive mixed entire albums multiple times, talking 8 hr straight mixing sessions... if your a rhymer, i recommend you goto a pro. i do everything i can and it hindered me more than it ever helped so far but i do beats and spit and mix for everybody. i can do everything but im always wantin more out of it so save yaself the time if you can

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
im fukkin wit audacity tryin to get my rap shyt on..and my shyt soundin like i recorded it while speakin into my radio lol i got the expensive usb condensor mic to...

i need a nikka to make a video or somethin,cause i cant find shyt lol

I just copped that usb condenser mic...I don't rap tho me and my homie trying to put out a ep with our beats...my other homie who make beats wit me nice at all that eq shyt.....I look at the screen while he's mixing like:leostare: