Coli Exclusive: The Blueprint for Drake's Cultural Appropriation

waltthizzney

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Take it back to 2013-14, Drake is singing love songs and is relatively low key.

An up and coming Artist Named Jimmy Johnson / Prime is part of a group called the Prime Boys based in the heart of Downtown Toronto, some call them the migos of Canada with limitless potential it seems, a picture of the group from the video "I heard is shown below"

Screen-Shot-2024-05-06-at-12-38-53-PM.png

The song " I Heard" filmed in 2013 and released in 2014 goes relatively viral in Toronto, where you can see Jimmy and members of the prime boy crew claiming "the 6" with "6" merch such as hats and t shirts. Jimmy is seen throughout the song calling the Toronto the 6.

Screen-Shot-2024-05-06-at-12-35-05-PM.png

Jimmy further follows up with other songs referencing the 6 on his album Red Ferrari as referenced below:

Shortly after this run something spooky happens, Drake seeming starts changing his image to reflect Toronto street culture and slang, how he dresses ect, here you can see drake wearing the very same jersey Jimmy is wearing in the video above less than a year after the I Heard Video Drops, Drake is also doubling down on Toronto street slang at this time, specifically Jimmy's trademark lisp that Drake never seemed to have prior where you pronounce a "SH" sound instead of a "S" to everything

CkagrszWEAEEjqK

Around this time (2015) drake starts referring to Toronto as the 6, and with that his album drops titled If Your Reading This Its Too Late, using the same font seen in the prime boys merch above with numerous references to the 6 throughout the album, with it taking a darker overtone and more references to Toronto Street Culture

Drake_-_If_You%27re_Reading_This_It%27s_Too_Late.png

Fast forward a couple years and The Prime Boys hype seems to fizzle out, Jimmy stops calling Toronto the 6, Drake doubles down and the prime boys basically stop making music after the death of their manager and friend Smoke Dogg.

So with that said I pose the question what really happen, did Drake buy Jimmy's persona off him, is Jimmy and the prime boys drake's ghost writers? Is this all just a coincidence? Did this set the stage for Drake applying this blueprint to other cities and cultures like Kdot referenced for ATL?

Last edited:

Ellen Degeneres

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone remember when at the end of the 00s there was a big debate about what the 10s would sound and look like. Some thought it would be rock star style, chains, Jim Jones, Rebirth type shyt. There was blog rap, jerking, snapbacks, 808s & Heartbreak type stuff. I think no one ever saw a guy that looks like OP's pic dominating the rap game :damn: This nikka looks swagless like a rich arab's son that gets to empty out shoe stores and car dealerships to post it on ig for fake likes and fake followers. He's been plugged all the way to the top within the industry and black artists gave him cred in exchange for chump change.

Last edited:

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Yea Drake took the "6ix" slang from that Toronto rapper you posted above.

However, Drake basically bought that nikka out cus now he's modelling for OVO clothing :pachaha:

waltthizzney

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea Drake took the "6ix" slang from that Toronto rapper you posted above.

However, Drake basically bought that nikka out cus now he's modelling for OVO clothing :pachaha:

Yeah he bought him out, Jimmy had buzz and potential and it appears Drake ended that to put him in the OVO sweatshop,

They even stole the font they had on their merch for drake's future album cover

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Take it back to 2013-14, Drake is singing love songs and is relatively low key.

An up and coming Artist Named Jimmy Johnson / Prime is part of a group called the Prime Boys based in the heart of Downtown Toronto, some call them the migos of Canada with limitless potential it seems, a picture of the group from the video "I heard is shown below"

Screen-Shot-2024-05-06-at-12-38-53-PM.png

The song " I Heard" filmed in 2013 and released in 2014 goes relatively viral in Toronto, where you can see Jimmy and members of the prime boy crew claiming "the 6" with "6" merch such as hats and t shirts. Jimmy is seen throughout the song calling the Toronto the 6.

Screen-Shot-2024-05-06-at-12-35-05-PM.png

Jimmy further follows up with other songs referencing the 6 on his album Red Ferrari as referenced below:

Shortly after this run something spooky happens, Drake seeming starts changing his image to reflect Toronto street culture and slang, how he dresses ect, here you can see drake wearing the very same jersey Jimmy is wearing in the video above less than a year after the I Heard Video Drops, Drake is also doubling down on Toronto street slang at this time, specifically Jimmy's trademark lisp that Drake never seemed to have prior where you pronounce a "SH" sound instead of a "S" to everything

CkagrszWEAEEjqK

Around this time (2015) drake starts referring to Toronto as the 6, and with that his album drops titled If Your Reading This Its Too Late, using the same font seen in the prime boys merch above with numerous references to the 6 throughout the album, with it taking a darker overtone and more references to Toronto Street Culture

Drake_-_If_You%27re_Reading_This_It%27s_Too_Late.png

Fast forward a couple years and The Prime Boys hype seems to fizzle out, Jimmy stops calling Toronto the 6, Drake doubles down and the prime boys basically stop making music after the death of their manager and friend Smoke Dogg.

So with that said I pose the question what really happen, did Drake buy Jimmy's persona off him, is Jimmy and the prime boys drake's ghost writers? Is this all just a coincidence? Did this set the stage for Drake applying this blueprint to other cities and cultures like Kdot referenced for ATL?

Don't forget about Mo G

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
Woah the actor Aubrey Graham found a new role to play back in the day? :ohhh:

Truly the definition of a method actor

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Yeah he bought him out, Jimmy had buzz and potential and it appears Drake ended that to put him in the OVO sweatshop,

They even stole the font they had on their merch for drake's future album cover
He really worked or works for drake?