Classic, or highly praised, Older Movies you Think are Overrated

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Let's say anything before the 90s.

Feelings might be hurt. :mjlol:

I'm watching Rebel Without A Cause. This shyt had me losing attention throughout the movie, and I still have 30 minutes left.

CitiZen Kane. It's a good story, interesting concept. But I just can't fukk with it.

Star Wars OG trilogy. I recently saw the entire movie series. I give it props for laying the world building foundation and the time it took to make those flicks. I guess the hype was too big to meet expectations, even though I didn't have any going in.

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
rating at the time vs rating in present is a bytch though...

i will say this the current movies are mostly garbage, back in the day even ''B'' movies were an interesing watch

to be honest haven't seen anything ''old'' recently but never got the hype for Heat for example, maybe should try it again

Colin X

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Auburn
If you judge old movies from a modern POV of course they’re all gonna be trash:what:

Metropolis is probably trash to A LOT of people today. But if they were around when it first came out they’d be :gladbron:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
If you judge old movies from a modern POV of course they’re all gonna be trash:what:

Metropolis is probably trash to A LOT of people today. But if they were around when it first came out they’d be :gladbron:

Yeah the shyt is kinda fruitless. A Buster Keaton movie may bore someone now because they're crazy lol but no way in hell a buster keaton movie wasn't groundbreaking in its day

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Howard the Duck..easily overrated, considered a "classic" and even got an easter egg in GoTG....never liked it.

Ishtar....dear Zeus the pacing in that film is like watching a sloth paint with a toothpick.
Both those films are notorious flops. Howard has it's fans tho but it's one of the worst movies ever made. :hhh:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I feel like we've done this thread before...

We're doing it again. :birdman:

I did a search and found nada. :manny:

Not always true. Godfather 1 and 2 are great. Same with Good, Bad, Ugly.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Marty is right we've done this thread about 85 times.

And you're bugging Rebel Without a Cause is great

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I found the Overrated/Underrated Movie thread, but it was for all movies. :youngsabo:

This thread is specific. :mjgrin:

I'm still trynna think of something to add

Most classics I can think of off hand were rated appropriately

Maybe Flight of the Navigator, Enemy Mine, and The Last Starfighter were underrated

Martha

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
I think all entertainment should be reviewed within context of the era, for example

even with music, people complain about method man's tical 2000 judgement day not being good cause it had hella samples,

then in another thread they say redman fell off around doc's da name 2000, and that album was all over the place wasn't gritty enough and had hella samples

then in another thread months later say nas was puttin out weak shyt around i am / nastradamus cause it was too pop/glossy and all over the place

then say flesh of my flesh blood of my blood ain't that good cause the beats were too pop and didn't fit DMX

and all these will be separate arguments on separate occasions making the point that such and such rapper fell off

now if you think about it, you realise all those albums came out in the same time stretch;

November 10 , 1998 - Tical 2000

December 8 1998 - Doc's Da Name

December 22 1998 - Flesh of my flesh

April 6 1999 - I Am

November 23 1999 - Nastradamus

so putting it in context, it's just the sound of that era that you don't like

rather than saying nikkas fell off

now if you like the style of the era and you just can get with that one album or in this case movie, that's one thing...

funny thing is studying trends lets you realize the extent of control artists have over their own work

but sometimes outliers sneak through and get praise. Unfortunately the industry that wouldn't let you in starts funding copycats to eat off your wave. It's alotta bullshyt

neither here nor there i just read the thread and felt like putting this here

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I think all entertainment should be reviewed within context of the era, for example

even with music, people complain about method man's tical 2000 judgement day not being good cause it had hella samples,

then in another thread they say redman fell off around doc's da name 2000, and that album was all over the place wasn't gritty enough and had hella samples

then in another thread months later say nas was puttin out weak shyt around i am / nastradamus cause it was too pop/glossy and all over the place

then say flesh of my flesh blood of my blood ain't that good cause the beats were too pop and didn't fit DMX

and all these will be separate arguments on separate occasions making the point that such and such rapper fell off

now if you think about it, you realise all those albums came out in the same time stretch;

November 10 , 1998 - Tical 2000

December 8 1998 - Doc's Da Name

December 22 1998 - Flesh of my flesh

April 6 1999 - I Am

November 23 1999 - Nastradamus

so putting it in context, it's just the sound of that era that you don't like

rather than saying nikkas fell off

now if you like the style of the era and you just can get with that one album or in this case movie, that's one thing...

funny thing is studying trends lets you realize the extent of control artists have over their own work

but sometimes outliers sneak through and get praise. Unfortunately the industry that wouldn't let you in starts funding copycats to eat off your wave. It's alotta bullshyt

neither here nor there i just read the thread and felt like putting this here
You can't compare music to movies. Music has more replay value, and a song is only, on average, 3-5 minutes long. :gucci:

I can toss on some Nas, followed by Doors, then Sinatra, anytime.

Music doesn't age like movies.