Clashing with black house guests.

Daps
I've played this in my head several times and I'd like some perspective. There's a bit of a story here.

I booked a dude for a show (comedy) and the day before, he called me and asked if he could crash. I put people up often enough so I agreed. When he showed up, he told me he had been in a car wreck. The car was scratched up and he was disoriented. As soon as he got in the house, he fell asleep, despite just saying he was planning on staying up, eating, etc. I assumed this was part of the crash so I kept an eye on him until he woke up a few hours later.

Next day, once we get up, we talk about different black issues (bill maher, cosby, murders, etc). This is where it started to go south. This young man was continually telling me I'm confused and raising his voice because I disagreed with him on certain things. I made it clear one time, we can have a conversation but if you're going to call me a c00n or a sellout, then you can leave. it subsided only slightly.

The show ended up not working out and I still paid this person for the travel. He was here a little over 2 days. Still borderline calling me a tom because I don't want to talk about bill maher all day. In addition to that, he refused to shower or even be quiet while I was sleeping. He then went on to criticize what I ate and me having drinks in my home. So in the end this escalated to telling him to leave. It wasn't pretty, as it ended with him outside in his barefeet and underwear. Luckily it didn't turn into anything violent.

So my question is really this: While I understand how racism affects us, isn't it a bit forward to scold someone after they put you up in their home? Like, if you had your idea of blackness/code, isn't that somewhat suspended in reference to the person hosting you? You can always sleep in your car or, like an adult, get a room. Have you ever had a situation where someone felt entitled to your property just because they are black (or rather, the idea they have about their blackness)?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Nothing to do with any of the issues you discussed or didn't want to discuss.
He was just disrespectful to the man (you) whose house he was staying in and he needed to go.
Nothing for you to beat yourself up over IMHO

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
I've played this in my head several times and I'd like some perspective. There's a bit of a story here.

I booked a dude for a show (comedy) and the day before, he called me and asked if he could crash. I put people up often enough so I agreed. When he showed up, he told me he had been in a car wreck. The car was scratched up and he was disoriented. As soon as he got in the house, he fell asleep, despite just saying he was planning on staying up, eating, etc. I assumed this was part of the crash so I kept an eye on him until he woke up a few hours later.

Next day, once we get up, we talk about different black issues (bill maher, cosby, murders, etc). This is where it started to go south. This young man was continually telling me I'm confused and raising his voice because I disagreed with him on certain things. I made it clear one time, we can have a conversation but if you're going to call me a c00n or a sellout, then you can leave. it subsided only slightly.

The show ended up not working out and I still paid this person for the travel. He was here a little over 2 days. Still borderline calling me a tom because I don't want to talk about bill maher all day. In addition to that, he refused to shower or even be quiet while I was sleeping. He then went on to criticize what I ate and me having drinks in my home. So in the end this escalated to telling him to leave. It wasn't pretty, as it ended with him outside in his barefeet and underwear. Luckily it didn't turn into anything violent.

So my question is really this: While I understand how racism affects us, isn't it a bit forward to scold someone after they put you up in their home? Like, if you had your idea of blackness/code, isn't that somewhat suspended in reference to the person hosting you? You can always sleep in your car or, like an adult, get a room. Have you ever had a situation where someone felt entitled to your property just because they are black (or rather, the idea they have about their blackness)?
should have slapped his face and shown him to the blue oyster bar.

Daps
should have slapped his face and shown him to the blue oyster bar.
I really had more than half a mind to but I didn't feel like fighting in my crib. Also, I'm trying to be a less violent person in general. I take it very personally if you insult me in my house, after I've fed you. Ya know?

When keeping it real goes wrong
It makes me not want to do things for people. Gotta write it off. Can't help everybody, I guess.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
Man fukk that :what: his ass would've been outside the minute after he raised his voice the first time on some tough shyt. He was out of line and disrespectful, if he felt you were that much of a c00n he should've gone to get a motel or hotel room :manny:

Daps
Breh with all due respect this has nothing to do with race issues or whatever, that breh was just an uneducated ungrateful a$$hole :yeshrug:
that's what a few of my friends said. i think i just feel strange. probably need to take it out in the gym or the range.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
I really had more than half a mind to but I didn't feel like fighting in my crib. Also, I'm trying to be a less violent person in general. I take it very personally if you insult me in my house, after I've fed you. Ya know?

It makes me not want to do things for people. Gotta write it off. Can't help everybody, I guess.
You did the right thing deescalating the situation by asking him to leave.

Daps
Man fukk that :what: his ass would've been outside the minute after he raised his voice the first time on some tough shyt. He was out of line and disrespectful, if he felt you were that much of a c00n he should've gone to get a motel or hotel room :manny:
Only reason I let it slide was so I could pay him. Something most people wouldn't have done. But I keep my word.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
that's what a few of my friends said. i think i just feel strange. probably need to take it out in the gym or the range.

I hear you. You did the right thing, twice : offered your hospitality and deescalated the situation. Just so happens that the person you were doing it for wasn't worth it. It's a hard lesson to learn, but some people, regardless of what connections WE think we may have with them (in this case, being both black) just aren't worth the time/energy/kindness. It's harsh, but it is what it is.

Good thing to take it out in the gym too, get it out of your system :salute:

Daps
Dude was way out of pocket wtf
Honestly, he's quite lucky that the people I normally roll with were occupied. They are more quick to angry action that I am. It would have been a whole thing. He later went on to claim he could blackball me (:heh:). I guess he felt that I wasn't black enough because my girlfriend is white. lol...:mindblown: don't sleep at our house then.