Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

=================================

Christie's Under Fire for Selling Looted Sculptures From Nigeria
A pair of Igbo objects, also called ‘alusi’ or “sacred sculptures.”
christies-igbo-sculptures-chika-okeke-agulu-paris-sale-1.png

Jun 11, 2020

Art historian and Princeton professor of African Diaspora art history, Chika Okeke-Agulu, is calling out Christie’s for selling a pair of sculptures that were taken from Nigeria during the country’s civil war. The artifacts in question is a pair of Igbo objects, also called alusi or “sacred sculptures,” that were stolen from Nigeria by Jacques Kerchache, a French collector of African art objects who passed away in 2001, as per ARTnews. The Igbo sculptures are slated to go up for auction in Christie’s Paris salesroom this June 29 with a pre-sale estimate of €250,000–€350,000 EUR ($283,000–$396,000 USD).

Okeke-Agulu especially pointed out how Christie’s had described the provenance of the works as having been “acquired in situ” between 1968–69. Okeke-Agulu argues, instead, that they were looted from the region of Nri-Awka in Nigeria — an area that is only 30 minutes away from where he grew up — during the civil war between Nigeria’s government and the Republic of Biafra.

“Dear Christie’s, let’s be clear about the provenance of these sculptures you want to sell,” said the art historian in an Instagram caption. “While between 500,000 and three million civilians, including babies like me, were dying of kwashiorkor and starvation inside Biafra; and while young French doctors were in the war zone establishing what we now know as Doctors Without Borders, their compatriot, Mr. Kerchache, went there to buy up my people’s cultural heritage, including the two sculptures you are now offering for sale.”

The debate over repatriating looted African treasures found in the collections of museums is still ongoing. African artifacts taken during the colonial era are still found across institutions in Europe, including Britain’s The Wallace Collection and the V&A museum. These artworks include the Benin bronzes, the Ghanaian Asante gold, and pieces plundered from the Ethiopian emperor Tewodros II during the 1868 Battle of Magdala, as per The Guardian. In 2018, France’s president Emmanuel Macron called for a French law to be changed, pledging that French museums return thousands of African objects from their collections.

“A loophole may explain why Christie’s is able to sell the objects. Okeke-Agulu pointed to a 1970 UNESCO Convention, which prohibits the illicit import, export, and transfer of cultural property, but applies only to objects taken after a nation had signed on to the convention. Since the objects were taken between 1968 and 1969, they would not be subject to the convention,” reported ARTnews.

HYPEBEAST reached out to a Christie’s representative for a comment on the matter, the auction house expressed:

The Igbo couple (lot 47) to be offered for sale was acquired by Jacques Kerchache from an African dealer in either 1968-1969. The provenance regarding this lot have been published several times and validated by well-respected scholars, collectors and dealers. It is known that Jacques Kerchache never travelled to Nigeria. There is no legal reason not to proceed with this sale,

We do appreciate the catalogue terminology ‘in situ’ is confusing; it has a different connotation in the African art category. We are removing it from the provenance information as it does not refer to precise information of the actual place of acquisition. In this field, it is used as a term to designate the fact that the object was collected by an African dealer before being sold to a foreign collector outside of the African continent.

There is a legitimate market for these statues and this sale falls within our compliance and due diligence process. These objects are being sold as part of a transparent, legitimate and legally compliant public sale process.

Christie’s complies with all applicable laws and regulations as they concern the sale of cultural property. We have longstanding commitment to diligent, provenance research and we require all objects, including African and Oceanic property, to have verifiable documented provenance that the work was out of its source nation within the legally appropriate and required timeframe.

Ancient and historic objects by their nature cannot always be precisely traced back over centuries. We recognize this is a complex and sensitive area of debate, but it is also our responsibility to ensure a responsible market continues, strictly meeting all the applicable legal frameworks for offering works of art.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Sad story.

But honestly, the idea is genius. They used the war's confusion to steal relics. :ohhh:

Black people just don't think like that. I think Dr.Clarke and J.A. Roger's called it, "the warmth of humanity". Personal gain wouldn't even occur to most black people, because we would be helping the injured or mediating the crisis.

They got me wondering "what random sht is missing in Rwanda right now"? :patrice: Because you know these people didn't watch all that confusion occur without taking anything.:francis:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Sad story.

But honestly, the idea is genius. They used the war's confusion to steal relics. :ohhh:

Black people just don't think like that. I think Dr.Clarke and J.A. Roger's called it, "the warmth of humanity". Personal gain wouldn't even occur to most black people, because we would be helping the injured or mediating the crisis.

They got me wondering "what random sht is missing in Rwanda right now"? :patrice: Because you know these people didn't watch all that confusion occur without taking anything.:francis:
oh, yeah...........there are icons, relics, and artifacts from all over the world in "private collections" owned by whites.

I posted this earlier this year

artifact-02.jpg
artifact-01.jpg

February 14, 2020
FBI Art Crime Team Announces the Repatriation of Over 450 Cultural and Historical Artifacts to the Republic of Haiti
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Art Crime Team announced today the repatriation of over 450 cultural and historical artifacts to the Republic of Haiti, marking the largest repatriation of art from the United State to Haiti to date. Representatives from the United States Embassy in Port-au-Prince, the United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Haiti’s Ministry of Culture and Communication, and the Bureau National d’Ethnologie of Haiti joined the FBI Art Crime Team for a repatriation ceremony at the Bureau of Ethnology in Port-au-Prince to return the items.

The 479 Haitian artifacts were discovered in 2014, when the FBI Art Crime Team seized more than 7,000 items from the private collection of an amateur archeologist, Donald Miller, who had likely acquired the items in contravention of state and federal law and international treaties. This was the largest single recovery of culture property in FBI history. Mr. Miller amassed his collection over seven decades from locations around the world and kept it on display in his basement in Waldron, Indiana prior to turning it over to the FBI. Since 2014, the FBI Art Crime Team has been diligently working to identify the rightful home of each item in the seized collection. The repatriation today returns significant historical property, long missing, to the Republic of Haiti.

“The FBI recognizes the significant role artifacts like these play in a culture’s history and identity. We are honored to return these pieces to the people of Haiti,” said Assistant Director Calvin Shivers of the FBI’s Criminal Investigative Division. “The FBI is committed to returning stolen art and other objects of cultural and historical significance to the communities to which they belong.”

The FBI’s work on this case is ongoing. Any official representatives of foreign governments and Native American tribes that would like to determine whether they have a claim to any of the recovered artifacts from the Miller collection are encouraged to contact the Bureau’s art theft program and submit a request via

=============================================================

Last edited:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Funny you posted that...

There is a recent video circulating of french brehs breaking in a museum and taking back our art. I'll see if I can find it again.

Meanwhile, in the same country...

2019-07-AFF_Helena_Rubinstein_BD-Quai-Branly-TLM.jpg

Celebration of Helena Rubinstein (Helena Rubinstein - Wikipedia) and her collection, who, in her great taste and open-minded genius, "was one of the first to recognize the value of primitive arts". Haha!

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-1.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-2.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-3.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-4.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-6.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-9.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-10.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-38.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-31.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-33.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-34.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-15.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-14.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-18.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-21.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-28.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-26.jpg

Ezigbo Nwanyi

From the East
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Home of Dr. Michael Okpara & GeneralAguiyi-Ironsi
Great post. Years ago when I visited the African Art museum in DC with my now husband, I told him how a lot of the Igbo, Efik, & Benin "artwork" that was on display were actually items from shrines, sacred idols that were usually not for public consumption. I even scoffed at the idea of looking at them because each statue and carving have spiritual meaning. Although Christianity was spread throughout Africa, traditional African spirituality was never abandoned, it is either mixed with their christian faith or done in private because ppl will accuse you of being involved in fetishes. Each "village" or klan has a shrine, where these sacred sculptures are placed among other things, when desecrated or stolen it is seen as great disrespect and "lost of power" of that particular village.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great post. Years ago when I visited the African Art museum in DC with my now husband, I told him how a lot of the Igbo, Efik, & Benin "artwork" that was on display were actually items from shrines, sacred idols that were usually not for public consumption. I even scoffed at the idea of looking at them because each statue and carving have spiritual meaning. Although Christianity was spread throughout Africa, traditional African spirituality was never abandoned, it is either mixed with their christian faith or done in private because ppl will accuse you of being involved in fetishes. Each "village" or klan has a shrine, where these sacred sculptures are placed among other things, when desecrated or stolen it is seen as great disrespect and "lost of power" of that particular village.
Everywhere that )outsider introduced) Christianity took root always incorporated some elements of the original belief systems. Syncretism. The enslaved Africans in Haiti worshipped their deities under the cover/cloud of Catholic saints.

If museums have displays of African/diasporan art, they need to hire a local historian who has roots in that culture as a consultant. Preferably a person who lived in that country/region at some point.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Funny you posted that...

There is a recent video circulating of french brehs breaking in a museum and taking back our art. I'll see if I can find it again.

Meanwhile, in the same country...

2019-07-AFF_Helena_Rubinstein_BD-Quai-Branly-TLM.jpg

Celebration of Helena Rubinstein (Helena Rubinstein - Wikipedia) and her collection, who, in her great taste and open-minded genius, "was one of the first to recognize the value of primitive arts". Haha!

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-1.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-2.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-3.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-4.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-6.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-9.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-10.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-38.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-31.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-33.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-34.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-15.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-14.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-18.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-21.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-28.jpg

helena-rubinstein-la-collection-de-madame-musee-quai-branly-paris-7-26.jpg
Yeah, the "primitive" term. I dated a woman who was heavily into arts and cultures. She was actually teaching me about elements of my cultural heritage. She took me to a musuem exhibit about Haitian art. As we walk in, we're laughing about how we are in a real life reinactment of Lisa/Akeem in Coming to America.

Coming-To-America-Zamunda-Family-Picture-2.jpg

We saw the word "primitive" in the exhibit displays and left. Museum got rid of that wording after we complained, but we never went back there. MFers exploiting cultures without an ounce of respect for them.
White people really love using that word.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Very little attention has been paid to the intellectual expression of African art,
which forms part of the education structure of Africa. European curators have drawn
from the aesthetic emphasis of European art to interpret African art, although the
latterwas fashioned mostly for their intellectual, philosophical, and spiritual uses.As
most of the education in precolonial Africa was based on orature, Africans tended to
express their “philosophic-religious ideas through art, through the timeless, immemorial,
silent, and elemental power so characteristic of African traditional art” (Abraham
1969, 111). African traditional art most often assumes a distorted form and is hardly
life-like in its representation. This abstraction often masks a depth of thoughts and
theoretical persuasions which most often seek to understand the physical as well as
the metaphysical realm. Unfortunately, undiscerning European art critics, by comparing
African art with European art, which is primarily for decoration and entertainment,
have dismissed African art as being incapable of realistic expression. Abraham
opines that in doing so, the Europeans “miss the point of African art. If they seek
life-like representation, they should turn to secular art, the art whichwas produced for
decorative purposes or the purposes of records, rather than moral art, the art whose
inspiration is the intuition of world force” (Abraham 1969, 111).
Indigenous Knowledge and Education in Africa, Chika Ezeanya-Esiobu