Chicago bout to pay up big money for being racist asf & sexist asf

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Chicago To Pay $3.8 Million To Black Female Firefighters
It’s been a long fight for a group of Black female firefighters in Chicago dealing with a discrimination settlement, but the struggle has finally come to an end with the women being awarded $3.8 million in back pension pay.

“Five years ago, the city agreed to hire 111 African-American firefighters bypassed by the city’s discriminatory handling of a 1995 firefighters entrance exam,” reported CBS Chicago. Thirteen of those Black firefighters were women and at the time Chicago used a “controversial and now-abolished test of upper-body strength that was being challenged in federal court for discriminating against women.” Twelve of the Black women–minus one woman who didn’t make it for other reasons–failed due to the test. And if Chicago had not issued that test these women would have been hired in March 2012. They claimed because of this hiring practice they were discriminated against and thus forced to wait three years (until November 2015) to enter the fire academy.

“They should have gone in in March 2012. Instead, it took a lawsuit to get them in … The city owes a lot more now than they would have owed had they heeded our warning not to use the physical fitness test again that was already under challenge,” Marni Willenson, an attorney representing the women, said. “They never should have used that test again — ever.”

This week Chicago’s City Council’s Finance Committee is expected to approve the $3.8 million pension payment to cover pension funds dating all the way back to June 1, 1999, but that doesn’t necessarily mean change is coming. As CBS Chicago pointed out, “Last month, a dozen women who wanted to become paramedics accused the Chicago Fire Department of devising two new physical agility tests that are equally biased against women.” These women are also seeking damages due to discrimination.

:martin:
Let's discuss this. What are y'all thoughts on this? I know it's gotta be thing slike his happening in other cities in other areas where women are in the minority. If the physical testing portion was biased; what else happened that isn't being mention? Was their candidates sexually harassed & aren't able to speak on it? This was 20 fukking yeas ago... I feels it's just more to this.

EARFQUAKE

🥰
Supporter
Daps
Unfortunately this isn't happening enough. I have a friend right now, Marine, who had been raped by three men and the branch gave her a dishonorable discharge so they wouldn't have to come out of pocket :francis: she's fighting it right now but that's just an idea of the fukkery being swept under the rug and yeah, she's black.

tater

Superstar
Daps
Unpopular opinion...

If women want to do these physically strenuous jobs where coworkers and the publics lives are at stake they should have to meet the EXACT SAME physical standards the men have to. :yeshrug:

If they did that then :manny:. If not I don't think they should qualify.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
I agree with @tater :francis:

If it was unnecessarily biased then ok, but who determines that? I would need to know more about the test and qualifications. These are jobs that are strenuous I don't feel concessions should be made when it could risk lives :yeshrug:

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Unpopular opinion...

If women want to do these physically strenuous jobs where coworkers and the publics lives are at stake they should have to meet the EXACT SAME physical standards the men have to. :yeshrug:

If they did that then :manny:. If not I don't think they should qualify.

I agree with @tater :francis:

If it was unnecessarily biased then ok, but who determines that? I would need to know more about the test and qualifications. These are jobs that are strenuous I don't feel concessions should be made when it could risk lives :yeshrug:

Details that only the parties involved & the courts will know until documents get released to the public.