Chi-Town is My Hip-Hop Mecca!!

h2o_proof

Thread Closed...As Usual
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I know it all began in the Bronx and me being from Houston, I got mad, mad love for my city too, but damn, I never realized how integral Chicago was to my taste in music.

Twista - In '97 I was 16, just coming into my own. Had already discovered Bone, Outkast was and still is my favorite group plus I had been on 'Face, UGK, 8Ball & MJG and Pac. Twista was the first artist however that I would recite lyrics line for line and Adrenaline Rush was the perfect combination of beats, rhymes and wordplay. Still to this day one of my favorite artists of all time. True he had been out since '92 but never really got into the whole Tung Twista vibe he first came out with.

Common - Like Twista, Common had been out since '92, but again, wasn't really feeling the vibe he came into the game with. Didn't like CIBAD and didn't really appreciate Resurrection until much later in life. First discovered Common in '99 while in college after linking up with some Chicago peeps. So I was 2 years late catching ODIWAMS but it was still so refreshing to hear. This album really connected with me and changed my whole vibe.

Kanye - I was already up on Kanye in '99-00 and had been hyping him up to everybody I knew. I was convinced he was the next big thing. I felt a connection because he had all the same interests and liked the same types of music me and people around me liked. Plus he rapped about stuff I would rap about if I was a rapper. He came into the game with a healthy combination of self awareness, but still was clearly on a mission.

Lupe - When I first heard Lupe in '04, I was pretty sure this was the next level from Kanye/Eminem, and didn't see how artists could take it any further than he was taking it with his duplicative rhyme schemes and how much detail/color he could put into a line. I still don't think anyone that has come into the game since '05 has advanced from a technical perspective, past what Lupe was doing.

I'll get off my soapbox now, as this is usually why I don't create new threads but it was almost like I had an epiphany today when I realized how much of my personal preference in music was shaped by these dudes.

h2o_proof

Thread Closed...As Usual
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Kanye and Lupe are two of the lamest acts of the last 10 years.

Not quite sure what you meant by lame, but since I'm open to hearing what you have to say, in your opinion, who are the 'stronger' artists of the last 10 years?