Carter High: the other Texas football movie you should see

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
i know many of the film room, let alone the coli in general has seen Friday Night Lights a number of times. I know I have, even as a person who do t really mess with the sport I love movie. That said, we know that team who were victorious over Odessa were portrayed as dirty and goo Noah players. Carter High tells their story.

My sport heads more than likely already know their story. A team who stayed being jerked around constantly by the system, found a way to still overcome them. But of course (those who don't know their story) folks got stupid....

The 1988 David W. Carter High School football team captured the attention of America on and off the field. It was the ultimate story of triumph and controversy as the Cowboys steamrolled to the Texas Class 5A State Championship.

From carterboyz.com:
They were featured in the book and the movie Friday Night Lights and were documented in D-Magazine, Newsweek and Sports Illustrated. They were coached by legendary Freddie James and set a national record with 18 players signing college letters of intent.

Suddenly things took an turn for the worse. Several players landed in prison for a series of armed robberies and left a proud community forever tarnished. Gary Edwards, a star defensive back and tailback, was at the center of it all including his infamous grade controversy.

I think it's been an espn documentary on them. Watching the movie got me interested in the real story. It also got me mad at the way this team was portrayed in the little they were in Friday Night Lights. Yeah it's still a dope movie, but to those who don't know about the Carter Boyz of '88 will be in for a good watch.

It's on Netflix.

Milk N Cookies

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
So u from oak cliff and u know bout this
Nope, from Chicago. Randomly came across the movie and was pulled in afterward. When I saw Semi finals game I was like :ohhh:that's the team from Friday Night Lights. I looked up the story and made the thread. Then I see my sister watching this earlier and I see these older football players telling their story and I'm like this sounds way too familiar. I know this may be a non Harlem comment :dame:
But these dudes were sexy as fukk in 88.

Daps
Nope, from Chicago. Randomly came across the movie and was pulled in afterward. When I saw Semi finals game I was like :ohhh:that's the team from Friday Night Lights. I looked up the story and made the thread. Then I see my sister watching this earlier and I see these older football players telling their story and I'm like this sounds way too familiar. I know this may be a non Harlem comment :dame:
But these dudes were sexy as fukk in 88.

I feel it the story compelling and sad at same time I watched it and thought they was very talented team that came out ok looking back now thirty years

Milk N Cookies

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
And they just mentioned how Friday Night Lights displayed them purely grimes ass players. Ever since I've seen Carter High i didn't care for Friday Night Lights as much.

Milk N Cookies

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
I finally watched the movie. I was like are u kidding me these actors look 30 years old and shyt. But I watched real footage them kids look like grown men against their comp

Movie was kind of blah tho. It's watchable I guess
Yeah it's got its corny moments, but what really caught my eye was the day & night difference how they were portrayed. Although Friday Nigt Lights weren't about them. The movie still made them look like super goons.