Car Companies Spying on Drivers Leading to Higher Insurance Premiums

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
my car isn't modern enough to collect data. and I would never use the gadget insurance companies provide.

the main reason for auto insurance going HAM is because cars are waaaaayyyyyy more complicated and expensive to repair due to all the computers they have these days.

Whether or not you actually use the service is beside the point. OnStar is tracking drivers, without consent nor knowledge, and selling the data onward anyway. Buyers aren't told any of this at point of sale, new or used. You have to figure it out yourself to opt-out; it's most likely buried in the UI somewhere in the cars display.

And of course, if they abide by anyone opting out even after all this...that's still anyone's guess.

Mike Nasty

Superstar
Daps
General Motors is not the only automaker sharing driving behavior. Kia, Subaru and Mitsubishi also contribute to the LexisNexis “Telematics Exchange,” a “portal for sharing consumer-approved connected car data with insurers.” As of 2022, the exchange, according to a LexisNexis news release, has “real-world driving behavior” collected “from over 10 million vehicles.”

Funny how GM acted like they didn't know what was going on.

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
I swear this has been going on for almost 10 years.

I always laughed when I had to renewy insurance and they asked if I wanted to install this app that tracks my drive habits
:mjlol:

You can save money and rewarded depending on your driving behaviour.
:mjlol: