get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Episode of the Ilha Cast Podcast
They begin speaking in English @17:49
@31 They begin discussing the book

Ilhacast Podcast is an authentic internet radio program about the Capeverdean experience both in the motherland & the diaspora. AlphaKiko is your humble host who is looking to bring you information for your enjoyment & empowerment
Guest are
  • Marilyn Halter, Professor Emerita of History at Boston University
  • Marcy dePina, Ethnomusicologist and radio/tv producer

9780252063268_lg.jpg

Between Race and Ethnicity
Cape Verdean American Immigrants, 1860-1965
Author: Marilyn Halter

Cape Verdean Americans were one of the first major groups of Americans to have made the voyage from Africa to the United States voluntarily. Their homeland, an archiaelago off the west coast of Africa, had long been colonized by the Portuguese. Arriving in New England first as crew members of whaling vessels, these Afro-Portuguese immigrants later came as permanent settlers in their own packet ships. They were employed in the cranberry industry, on the docks, and as domestic workers.

Marilyn Halter combines oral history with analyses of ships' records to create a detailed picture of the history and adaptation patterns of the Cape Verdean Americans, who identified themselves in terms of ethnicity but whose mixed African-European ancestry led their new society to view them as a racial group. Halter emphasizes racial and ethnic identity formation among Cape Verdeans, who adjusted to their new life . Ethnographic analysis of rural life on the bogs of Cape Cod is contrasted with the New Bedford, Massachusetts, urban community to show how the immigrants established their own social and religious groups and maintained their Crioulo customs

Last edited:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I wanna ask a question, but I don't want to this thread into a shytshow.

With that said, I didn't know this either. I thought all voluntary African immigration happened after 1865. :ehh:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
They arrived here by choice as free people, though...and they migrated to Northern states that had already abolished slavery.

We know and agree that reparations are for enslaved Africans and their descendants of the United States of America.

However, the rhetoric (of which there is many) makes the delineation (IMO, especially this case) muddy.

Currently, Black Americans qualify if: they've been on the census for at least 10 years and identified as Negro, Black American, and African-American and if they can find your family name on the 1870 census.
Also, AFAIK, any Afram who escaped to the North from the South weren't going to get 40 acres and a mule. That was just for the Freedmen still in the south after the war. I haven't seen any documentation stating otherwise. So if anyone has any official documentation that does state otherwise please share.
So in the case of these Cape Verdean American, they fit both criteria. So based on what's being said today, they'd qualify for reparations. Even though they shouldn't.