Can You Transfer XSX or PS5 Games to an External?

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I have a portable SSD that I have configured to be an external for Xbox Series X. However, its only 500GB and these damn games keep getting larger and larger.

My XSX ran out of room and now my portable SSD ran out of room.

If I connect that portable SSD to my PC can I transfer those games to my Western Digital MyBook external HD? Then when I want to play those games again I can just swap them out?

Same issue will happen when my PS5 comes in. I’m not at home or else I’d have figured this all out myself already.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
You can use them for transfer or storage with the ps5 but you can’t directly play ps5 games off an external HDD/SSD because PS5 games run on proprietary SSD that don’t yet have counterparts on the market
Oh damn. I could directly play using PS4 external. So its a different ballgame with PS5 then huh. Alright.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I have a portable SSD that I have configured to be an external for Xbox Series X. However, its only 500GB and these damn games keep getting larger and larger.

My XSX ran out of room and now my portable SSD ran out of room.

If I connect that portable SSD to my PC can I transfer those games to my Western Digital MyBook external HD? Then when I want to play those games again I can just swap them out?

Same issue will happen when my PS5 comes in. I’m not at home or else I’d have figured this all out myself already.
Long story short, only for last gen games. If you have fast enough internet then it don't even matter. I can download a 70gb game in 5-10 min max?

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Externals are great for backlogs you wanna play
Long story short, only for last gen games. If you have fast enough internet then it don't even matter. I can download a 70gb game in 5-10 min max?
I have a monthly 1TB limit. I can’t just be deleting and redownloading shyt hence the hard-drives.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Can you use the same external HD for both PS5 and XSX at the same time?

if not that means just storing the games on WD MyBook HD in their own separate folders and only using the external SSD for transferring back and forth. Damn.

That I'm not sure of. I know that on the PS5, it has to put the SSD in a different storage state than when storing normal files. I suppose if that state is the same on the Xbox that it might be possible. Might wanna research that if that's your plans.