Can we talk about one of the greatest gaming disappoints of all time? The Cancelled N64DD?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This was so hype back in the day. yes, i know that it officially released in Japan but it was only short lived

The Onimusha anime thread lead me down a rabbit whole, and the first game, Warlords was originally meant for the N64DD. So Many big games were cancelled and/or ported to other systems because this thing flopped.

64DD_English6-640x480.jpeg

List of Ported Games
For the beta of ported games, see Beta of ported Games
  • Doubutsu Banchou (Animal Leader, released on Nintendo GameCube as Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest)
  • Dragon Warrior VII (ported to the Sony PlayStation instead)
  • Far East of Eden: Oriental Blue (became a Game Boy Advance title of the same name)
  • Dōbutsu no Mori (released as a cartridge in Japan, and later as Animal Crossing on the Nintendo GameCube)
  • Mother 3 ("EarthBound 64") (became a Game Boy Advance title of the same name in Japan)
  • Resident Evil 0 (released on Nintendo GameCube)
  • Seaman (released on Sega Dreamcast)

List of Cancelled Games​

• 7th Legion
  • Automobili Lamborghini Add-On
  • Cabbage (Served as the inspiration for Nintendogs)
  • Communication Game
  • Captain Commando
  • Creator (later integrated into the Mario Artist series)
  • DD Sequencer
  • Derby Stallion 64
  • Desert Island: No Man's Island
  • Dezaemon 3D Expansion Kit
  • Diablo
  • Digital Horse Racing Newspaper
  • Digital Sports Newspaper
  • Dragon Ball Z: Block Butouden
  • DT Bloodmasters
  • Evil Zone
  • Famicom Classics Vol. 1
  • Final Fight Revenge
  • Final Doom
  • Fire Emblem 64 (some elements of the plot were later used on the first Fire Emblem for Game Boy Advance)
  • Gendai Dai-Senryaku: Ultimate War
  • Hiryu no Ken Stadium DD Real Version
  • Hiryu no Ken Stadium DD SD Version
  • Jungle Emperor Leo
  • Mario Artist: Game Maker
  • Mario Artist: Graphical Message Maker
  • Mario Artist: Sound Maker (split out from Paint Studio and then canceled)
  • Mario Artist: Video Jockey Maker
  • Mega Man X5
  • Mother 3.5 (Earthbound 64 expansion)
  • Mission: Impossible 64DD
  • Mysterious Dungeon
  • Namco RPG
  • Ogre Battle Saga
  • Project Cairo
  • Quest 64 Add-On
  • Rev Limit
  • Samurai Shodown 64: Warriors Rage
  • SimCopter 64
  • Super Mario 64 2
  • Suul
  • Tank
  • Teo
  • Tetris Attack
  • Tetris Wars
  • Tonic Trouble Add-On
  • Toukon Road: Brave Spirits Add-On
  • Unreal
  • Wall Street
  • Ura Zelda (Expansion disk to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)

Last edited:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I barely remember this...:bryan: man they was trying to bite off that sega genesis 32x!!! :russ:

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Dreamcast and N64 trying online before it popped for consoles. Don't see how this one could ever work though. The in game aspects were cool.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
My first time hearing of this. What was the purpose behind this?

Its one of the big reasons i bought the N64. I remember i would read in the back of a magazine, (maybe gamepro?) the list of up coming games for it and i would get so unbelievable hype for this shyt. It had earthbound 2 (mother 3), Super Mario RPG 2 (which became paper mario yuck), The Zelda Expansion, i think a final fantasy game was mentioned….

A bunch of stuff that where coming from an SNES, which was the GOAT JRPG system of the time it gave those fans a lot of hope for what was to come.

The games never came :mjcry:

Plugging into the extension port on the underside of the console, the 64DD allows the Nintendo 64 to use proprietary 64MB magnetic disks for expanded and rewritable data storage, a real-time clock for persistent game world design, and a standard font and audio library for further storage efficiency. Its games and hardware accessories let the user create movies, characters, and animations to use within various other games and shared online. The system could connect to the Internet through a dedicated online service, Randnet, for e-commerce,[6] online gaming, and media sharing.[7] Describing it as "the first writable bulk data storage device for a modern video game console",[8]Nintendo designed the 64DD as an enabling technology platform for the development of new genres of games and applications,[9] dozens of which were in development for several years.

Womb Raider

movin' thru the city streets
Daps
Reppin
Fo Nem
Barely remember this but only 10 of those games listed even released. It seems like it was a limited release in JP, didn’t really have an immediate impact on anything but paved the way for Animal Crossing and Nintendogs.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I barely remember this...:bryan: man they was trying to bite off that sega genesis 32x!!! :russ:
Sega CD, The 32x was the Sega version of a Gen system upgrade
Dreamcast and N64 trying online before it popped for consoles. Don't see how this one could ever work though. The in game aspects were cool.
Online popped off during the snes/genesis era tho, it wasn't to be an online only system. I don't even know if it was online...
Its one of the big reasons i bought the N64. I remember i would read in the back of a magazine, (maybe gamepro?) the list of up coming games for it and i would get so unbelievable hype for this shyt. It had earthbound 2 (mother 3), Super Mario RPG 2 (which became paper mario yuck), The Zelda Expansion, i think a final fantasy game was mentioned….

A bunch of stuff that where coming from an SNES, which was the GOAT JRPG system of the time it gave those fans a lot of hope for what was to come.

The games never came :mjcry:
nikka, you didn't buy a N64 because of no damn n64 disc drive :laff: how old are you?
Gtfoh either way
PlayStation had the game PANICKING:wow:
Yeah because the n64 with Mario 64 and all the all time greats that system produced. While this thread topic is ok, this tidbit makes your thought and this thread not so special...

Sony even back then was not to be trusted so Nintendo kicked them to the curb.