Can We Talk About How Duane Martin Tried His Best To Single Handedly Ruin “Above The Rim”?

Daps
I’ve always wondered why I’ve always tried to avoid this movie. Overall it was always a great movie but something about it rubbed me the wrong way...Then it hit me

321006_full.jpg

This guy was a HORRIBLE actor. Overacting & unbelievable. I get that the character wasn’t supposed to be likable for most of the movie but a better actor could have transcended that. Dolomite level acting

Guess Omar Epps was busy

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
The Dilemma.
Get someone who can hoop but isn't a good actor. OR
Get someone who can act but can't hoop.

I think you're right though. With a better actor this movie becomes a classic.

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
He wasn't bad to me

But he was out acted by everyone in the movie. And this was probably Leon's worst acting performances in all his movies to me but I blame that on how they wrote the character.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I keep reading that and can’t find no proof beyond the cite on his Wikipedia page that he signed as an undrafted free agent after playing D3 ball.
some site

all i could find that sounded legit.
im a lil high, so dont give me no shyt.

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

"He got signed to a 1-year contract, but got cut after 3 months... He was playing the point, and apparently, it came down to him and Rod Strickland (and the team already had Mark Jackson as its starting point guard)."

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
some site

all i could find that sounded legit.
im a lil high, so dont give me no shyt.

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

"He got signed to a 1-year contract, but got cut after 3 months... He was playing the point, and apparently, it came down to him and Rod Strickland (and the team already had Mark Jackson as its starting point guard)."
:mjlol: No.

Martin was born in Brooklyn, New York, and is a graduate of New York University. Martin played NCAA Division III basketball at NYU and was signed as an un-drafted free agent to a non-guaranteed contract in the National Basketball Association (NBA) with the New York Knicks in 1989.[2] However, he was soon cut and never actually played in the NBA.[3]

Duane Martin - Wikipedia

Sounds more believable

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I'm trying to think of an actor who could have played that part. Omar Epps didnt really sell the bball stuff in Love& Basketball to me.

Maybe Fredro Starr :heh: