Can we really take back control of our culture?

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
I'm looking at youtube videos of white people making money of hip hp and urban culture. Clearly 110% percent of them are just outside looking in and never stepped foot in the environment that many of us came from. It's like we just completely give them control of everything and the min we try and gain a foothold they knock us back down.

It's frustrating especially when we try other avenues of entertainment with little to no luck in gaining a decent following since so many of them just refuse to help.

Look at these sites like rap genius, xxl, vladtv, complex etc and it's like :gucci: damn what the fukk they know about our culture outside of what we tell and show them.

Noni

Rookie
Daps
I think we might do this is by becoming very conscious about what is still very African about us and incorporate that in our sound. It's just not going to be easy to appropriate something where the fashion and the music itself sounds too "cultural". It's good that we're creative enough to take instruments that aren't traditionally African and make them our own, but the downside is that it makes it easy to disassociate it from us after a few generations like jazz.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
It would be nice to see it. But how do you do it? You have to provide some type of education of the music business. You know how dope it would be to see that kind of money flowing through our community?

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
I think it's impossible living in the white sumpremacy system, we've seen it happen with every single thing we've created.

When these damn cacs are interested in something soon they try to take it upon themselves to say that they are also part of the culture, for more profitable purposes naturaly.

Black americans are always fighting each other on some bullshyt, which makes it easier for they to take control of things.

The D-List Vet

Being in a recommendation system.
Daps
Reppin
Coli.
Not in America I believe. The thing about being African american, is that we have that -American portion tacked onto us which makes american cacs think they are entitled to step into our culture as well.
I think more and more people are seeing that Staying in Amerikkka is not the best option now.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Is it possible? ofc.
Is it probably? no.

Because there would have a be a long long phase of financial sacrifice to completely weed out the white out from our society and organizations and business ventures.

And every black person who decides to go to white daddy during that time will be rewarded generously so it will be even harder for people to keep steadfast.

Its an uphill battle.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm looking at youtube videos of white people making money of hip hp and urban culture. Clearly 110% percent of them are just outside looking in and never stepped foot in the environment that many of us came from. It's like we just completely give them control of everything and the min we try and gain a foothold they knock us back down.

It's frustrating especially when we try other avenues of entertainment with little to no luck in gaining a decent following since so many of them just refuse to help.

Look at these sites like rap genius, xxl, vladtv, complex etc and it's like :gucci: damn what the fukk they know about our culture outside of what we tell and show them.

It's just demographics.... Hiphop despite being a black artform still has a majority
white audience/consumer base .So it makes sense to present hip hop through a white lens

because they don't care about black audiences as a consumer group.

Daps
It has to be redefined and the issue with that is so many black people don't want to do it. So the pillage continues. On the flip side, most of what they call black culture, isn't. It's an imitation. That gets foggy because some black people are involved in and consume the faux, cookie cutter stuff. All we can do is be sincere and true to ourselves.

Trust me, other peoples find the bona fide, unapologetically black stuff respectable. The ultimate problem with most 'black culture' is that it was never black to begin with, again. Once our people stop trying to make it in 'their' world, our shyt will be more legit. Too many of us try to fit in and be palletable because some others won't like it. All that does is hold us back. Remind each other to be ourselves and claim ownership.

Black people are literally the only ones I can think of that apologize for being raped and exploited. I believe the tide is turning, though.