Call for Internet blackout to protest CISPA

Mass

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anonymous called on Friday for an Internet blackout in protest of Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), which passed the House on Thursday.

If signed into law, CISPA would make it legal for websites to give your personal information to the U.S. government without your permission.

Naturally, the hacker collective anonymous is not happy, calling for an Internet protest on Monday, April 22.

A subset of Anonymous, posting on a site titled Anon Insiders, posted the following:

We are going dark on MONDAY April 22nd at 6 AM GMT for 24 hours to protest your illogical and terrorizing bill against the Internet itself. Even with the whole Internet crying out to stop this BILL, the U.S. House of Representatives failed to do so blinded by lobbyist’s money and cum in your eyes. So we will take action ourselves and open your eyes. Every popular/mainstream websites will be black until you, Mr. DronObama promise us to use your VETO power to stop this bill at Senate. Take this as a protest or a warning, as you wish. One thing is for certain, neither you or anyone else in this world can control the Internet, so don’t even try. The Huffington Post

HIGHLIGHTS

Some are suggesting the protest take the form of a “blackout” - going offline for 24 hours, displaying censorship bars over content or posting statements of opposition to Internet censorship - similar to last year’s opposition to the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA). ABC News

Though proponents see the bill as a strong measure to fight cyber threats and better protect citizens, organizations like the American Civil Liberties Union, The Internet Defense League and the Electronic Frontier Foundation oppose CISPA because of the jurisdiction it would provide for the federal government to procure personal information shared with private-sector entities such as Google or Facebook. ABC News

Under CISPA, the same companies holding records on what we read, where we go, and what we're thinking about get to decide who else can see those records. ACLU

Privacy advocates have rallied against the bill, warning that it would encourage companies to share their customers' sensitive personal information with spy agencies like the National Security Agency. The Hill

AT/ARA

source : PressTV - Anonymous calls for Internet blackout

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
This will be as successful as those gas strikes were. People now are too dependent on the internet, im sure even the group calling for the blackout can't function a day without it being that is what they actually do all day.

mozichrome

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i just remember how all these so called internet protest end

with nothing happening

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Its a good plan in theory and all but some of us too weak bruh, what Im gone do with no internet on a monday :to:

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
7297_3688.gif

No.

Mass

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
sure ill do it.

I'd do it to.

But i mean i can't just not go online. There's online clases n shyt out there to there's so many reasons to be online..

instead i'll stay off leisurely sites and maybe put up a facebook photo like "Stop Cispa" or some shyt.

YaBoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a research paper due on Tuesday, so maybe this blackout should be later on this week :mjpls: