Bully Ray On Overused Wrestling Moves & Veterans Policing The Youngsters

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
During a recent edition Busted Open Radio, WWE Hall of Famer Bully Ray expressed his disgust with how overused the Canadian Destroyer has become as a wrestling move as of late, citing how Orange Cassidy and Penta used the move on AEW Dynamite last week. Below are some highlights (via WrestlingInc.com):

Bully Ray on the Canadian Destroyer: “In my opinion, the Canadian Destroyer was one of the best original finishing moves I’ve ever seen.”

On how the move has become overused: “I’ve seen the move over the past couple of years start to get overused, start to get prostituted, start to get watered-down. Then I saw what I saw the other night …”

Bully Ray on how veterans need to rein in the younger guys: “How many more moves are we just gonna throw away Veterans have to stop allowing young wrestlers to just do whatever they want because it’s wrong. Veterans have to do a better job policing and educating.”

Flex Luger

Job Is Finished
Daps
When I first started watching TNA and saw the Canadian destroyer I was like :whoo: was the best looking finisher ever to me up there with the Steiner screwdriver. But now you got dudes doing it back to back and getting up right after getting hit with it:martin:

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Bully Ray is right but I understand why the younger guys do that ish...

They can't compete with the veterans as far as name recognition, believability, credibility, story telling, crowd work, etc. Only thing the younger guys have an edge in is work rate and athleticism, so they have to maximize and overdo that shyt to stand out, hence some of the ridiculous shyt we see from them.

Raw Sauce

Superstar
Daps
To top it all off, most of the time when the Canadian Destroyer is performed by randoms it looks like shyt.

That said, I generally don't mind safe moves that used to be finishers becoming regular moves. Almost everything that's normal now used to be a finisher at some point, even the damn Irish Whip.

My problem is really when actual dangerous moves (particularly anything where they come down on the top of their head or neck) become throwaway moves. It kills a literal killer move. Risk your life and don't even get a false finish, wrasslebrehs.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
The ddt was a finisher. Bubba lying as always. But punk just got fired for trying to do this.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Bubba used to throw dudes off balconies through tables and hit people square in the head with steel chairs tho :wtf:

Like did veterans need to police safety back then or just the kayfabe of moves today?

Or depending on the era you do what you gotta do to get noticed :manny: