"Bullets In The Air & Ted Leonsis Don't Care!" - Official Washington Wizards 2021 Offseason Thread

WILL WE HAVE A GOOD NEW COACH

• YES

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • NO

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

Alright brehs, we have $119M in committed salary. Our luxury tax projected line is about $136.6M. We have our draft picks for 2021.

Code:
PG Westbrook  44.2M
SG Beal       34.5M
SF Hutchinson  4.0M
SF Avdija      4.7M
PF Hachimura   4.9M
PF Bertans    16.0M
C  Bryant      8.7M
C  Gafford     1.8M

TOTAL        119.0M
I think Oz's projections on the a cap are a little off because we'll have minimum contracts who are not veterans there so they'll be slightly less.

Optimistically, we can sign Mathews with Early Bird Rights for $1.5M. We can match any expected offer, so if someone offers more, we can still retain him. If Neto can be retained for the vet minimum ($1.6M) or the non-Bird exception ($1.7M), I'd keep him too, or another equivalent backup PG for that cost. That gives us 10 guys, 2 at each position, for $120.7M.

Getting the 8th seed means we'll have the 15th pick. So, we'll have a cheaper rookie at around $3.3M and there are rotation level guys that will be available at that pick.

Will Ted Leonsis go into the luxury tax to satisfy Russ and Brad? If so, they can sign a free agent with the MLE. If not, they may only have about $7M or so... part of the full MLE to go after a free agent or split it amongst a couple guys.

Biggest needs: defensive SF, defensive PF... and if those guys can shoot, all the merrier. Gafford satisfies the rim protection role. I would not be opposed to signing a 3rd C who is also defensive. I don't want Lopez or Len back...

Beyond the roster, we all can agree a coaching upgrade is needed. Brooks' contract is expired. Thank God!

I want someone who can do more with less, has a system of ball movement, and has a defensive philosophy that says we do not help off 3 point shooters. Obviously, Westbrook's half court tendencies is a problem. The rest of the guys are ether young or will fit in seamlessly in that type of system.

Tommy Sheppard is still gonna be the GM. I don't see Masai Ujiri coming here. Which is a damn shame.

@thewiz
@lochead
@mastermind
@ThatsRite2
@Black
@Eddie Jordan
@Mr swag
@Spree At Last
@mrken12
@Rob's al Ghul
@KBadd
@seanjohn21276
@L. Deezy
@ZEupTWN
@Guv
@KillbertArenas
@G-Zeus
@Boesky
@Blackrogue
@VladTheImpaler
@JACK!
@PracticeMeansNothin
@Smashius Clay
@Jemmy
@Dad
@KBadd
@L&HH

Last edited:

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
That David Berton contract is a fuccin milestone around the Wizards neck. Thanks Uncle Ted :snoop:
Yup... And getting rid of him is a Catch-22. Without him, we have no 3 point shooters or floor spacers outside of Matthews.

If only we had a guy like Morey as our GM. He got Seth Curry, Danny Green and George Hill who are all good shooters in his first year on the job. We desperately need more shooters but also defense on the wing and PF spot..

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
This roster is a mess and needs a major clear out

I would trade Beal this off-season, but we know it won’t happen.

You'd have to get a decent SG back in a Beal trade and of course a treasure trove of picks. I don't see a good trade partner right now with the Nuggets doing what they did for Gordon and the Miami Heat have Herro who had a bad sophmore year and no picks to boot. DEN was my prime trade partner.

It's looking more and more likely that Beal is gonna opt out in order to sign that 10 year max a year from now and get all 5 years... in DC that locks him up until he's 34 years old.

I don't have a problem keeping him. We know we're going to get 30 PPG from him. My issue is I want superior coaching for him for the first time in his NBA life. We've only had Wittman and Brooks. It's a disaster.

The biggest issue with the roster is the SF and PF positions. We have no playable guys there. I would not even be opposed to having Otto back at part of the MLE. That's how bad it is. Unless you count Rui as a SF and that's legit the only guy! And Rui himself needs to make a massive improvement. I know he's gonna play with Team Japan at the Olympics. Not sure if Beal/Russ are gonna be part of the final Olympics roster either.

beal for siakam
:mjlit:
Give us Van Vleet too and I might do it.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
You'd have to get a decent SG back in a Beal trade and of course a treasure trove of picks. I don't see a good trade partner right now with the Nuggets doing what they did for Gordon and the Miami Heat have Herro who had a bad sophmore year and no picks to boot. DEN was my prime trade partner.

It's looking more and more likely that Beal is gonna opt out in order to sign that 10 year max a year from now and get all 5 years... in DC that locks him up until he's 34 years old.

I don't have a problem keeping him. We know we're going to get 30 PPG from him. My issue is I want superior coaching for him for the first time in his NBA life. We've only had Wittman and Brooks. It's a disaster.

The biggest issue with the roster is the SF and PF positions. We have no playable guys there. I would not even be opposed to having Otto back at part of the MLE. That's how bad it is. Unless you count Rui as a SF and that's legit the only guy! And Rui himself needs to make a massive improvement. I know he's gonna play with Team Japan at the Olympics. Not sure if Beal/Russ are gonna be part of the final Olympics roster either.

Give us Van Vleet too and I might do it.
The thing is, Beal isn’t going to be the lead guy on a title team. He has never shown that talent. This roster is also like three seasons of tremendous luck away from even being a high seed playoff team

We are not going anywhere but late lottery or low playoff seed.

I do think Beal is hanging around to get that supermax tho and then we are stuck with him or have to take on a bad contract to get rid of him. I don’t like this at all.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
The thing is, Beal isn’t going to be the lead guy on a title team. He has never shown that talent. This roster is also like three seasons of tremendous luck away from even being a high seed playoff team

We are not going anywhere but late lottery or low playoff seed.

I do think Beal is hanging around to get that supermax tho and then we are stuck with him or have to take on a bad contract to get rid of him. I don’t like this at all.

You’re right. Brad is a clear #2 or #3 on a title contender. And we have no way of getting our #1 banana unless we get real lucky or Rui becomes Kawhi basically. :damn:

My thinking is making moves that are under the radar yet effective. Tommy failed at that until the Gafford trade. You need like 3-4 moves like that on backup guard, the wing and PF spots to get to where the Hawks are or better :snoop:

Coaching though has a big part to play here though. We’ve seen this year that Brooks himself cost this team a dozen games and ironically enough they were against Eastern playoff teams. Games they had leads in. Shid, opening night they were beating the Sixers for 46 minutes :russ:

Mr swag

We Out Here
Daps
Reppin
The Well Respected Uptown,Virginia
You’re right. Brad is a clear #2 or #3 on a title contender. And we have no way of getting our #1 banana unless we get real lucky or Rui becomes Kawhi basically. :damn:

My thinking is making moves that are under the radar yet effective. Tommy failed at that until the Gafford trade. You need like 3-4 moves like that on backup guard, the wing and PF spots to get to where the Hawks are or better :snoop:

Coaching though has a big part to play here though. We’ve seen this year that Brooks himself cost this team a dozen games and ironically enough they were against Eastern playoff teams. Games they had leads in. Shid, opening night they were beating the Sixers for 46 minutes :russ:

until brooks is gone. I don’t know what we have

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Aldridge: Wizards aren't in 76ers' class, so does running it back next season make sense?

GettyImages-1320244063-scaled-e1622090324279-1024x683.jpg

By David Aldridge
May 27, 2021

The season has a few days left, maybe a week, and then the Washington Wizards are going to have to make some decisions.

Game 2 of their NBA playoff series with Philadelphia only confirmed what was obvious before the series started: Philly’s significantly better than Washington, and it’s the worst possible matchup the Wizards could have gotten in the first round.

It starts with Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons, but it doesn’t stop there. The 76ers are superior across the board. Maybe not 25 points better, the final wreckage in the Wizards’ Game 2 120-95 loss. But they’re better, and it’s not close.

Reducing that gap will be the job of the team’s general manager. Right now, that’s Tommy Sheppard. Of course, it’s Ted Leonsis’ call. There are capable executives he could bring in. But I think Leonsis knows that since Sheppard got the job almost two years ago, he’s done a very good job adding meaningful talent to the roster without hamstringing the budget or going into the luxury tax. The details of Sheppard’s contract since his 2019 promotion have always been opaque, but whether his deal is up at season’s end or there are club options, Leonsis needs to give Sheppard some certainty with a new deal and let him go to work.

The Wizards could have blown things up two years ago — even after last season — and started a long-term, down-to-the-studs rebuild with young players and a young, defense-minded coach. And, with some luck, you could have built a team like Atlanta or Memphis, which are both loaded with emerging talent.

But the Wizards made their choice. They’re going to roll with their star backcourt of Russell Westbrook and Bradley Beal for the next two years. Leonsis has made it clear he wants to make the playoffs as often as possible and has no interest in restarting the clock. It’s his team, and if that’s his gauge for success, I’d disagree — after 40 years in the hoop wilderness, the goals should be a little loftier. You can be patient when you have a generational, historical talent like Alex Ovechkin on your team; his greatness will give you a chance, year after year, to win it all. The Wizards don’t have that player on their roster.

But there’s no point in continually relitigating it. And that means running it back with Sheppard and Scott Brooks, which makes the most sense from a continuity standpoint.

A new GM, in all likelihood, is going to recommend the very thing Leonsis doesn’t seem to want to do: start over, and try to get that Ovechkin-level player in the draft. At any rate, whoever is running the show has to immediately improve the talent around the two guards.

(Let me just say this right here: I worked in Philly for four years. I love the fans there. The vast majority are passionate, smart and show up for everything. But they have some a-holes there, too. And the jerk who threw popcorn on Westbrook as he left the floor in the second half after turning his ankle needs to be banned from NBA arenas for life. He’s a coward on top of being a putz.)

The Wizards desperately need a 3-and-D wing — someone who is enough of a perimeter threat to space the floor credibly and create driving lanes for Westbrook and Beal, yet who also has the size and length to guard the likes of Philly’s Ben Simmons. The 76ers are completely indifferent to Raul Neto when he’s on the floor; they don’t care what he does when he’s out there. As it was, he didn’t score until four minutes were gone in the third quarter Wednesday. Simmons walked Westbrook under the basket to start the game and lorded it over the Wizards on the offensive glass all night. (My buddy Paul Evans, the longtime statistician, hit me with this tidbit: Simmons was 11-of-15 from the floor in Game 2. His average shot length was 3.1 feet.)

The three-guard rotation Brooks has started the last few weeks works against bad teams, but not in the playoffs, when you play teams like Philly, Brooklyn and Milwaukee, which have multiple 3-point threats and switchable wing defenders.

“Everything’s up for grabs right now,” Brooks said after Wednesday’s loss. “They did what they did. Now it’s our turn to do what we need to do. … Everything’s definitely going to be looked at. We have to find a better group at both ends of the floor.”

Washington doesn’t have any true and consistent 3-point threats on the current roster. It’s hard to think otherwise after the Wizards have gone 10-of-42 from 3 in the first two games against Philly, including 2-of-22 Wednesday. That just doesn’t seem possible in 2021.

Dāvis Bertāns has been a rumor so far this series, fouling out early in the fourth Wednesday without scoring a point. He has no Plan B for teams that can get into him and take away the open, regular-season 3s he made at a high clip. He has no in-between game and no post-up game, just 3s. Which would be OK if he shot a whole bunch of them every game, but he doesn’t — partly because the Wizards don’t screen well enough to get him open looks against good defenses, anyway.

Beal is a wondrous scorer. He grinded his way to 33 points in Game 2 with his full arsenal on display. But, he’s fallen off significantly behind the arc this season; he shot 35 percent on 3s this season after shooting 39 percent or better in each of his first five. He was just 1-of-6 from deep Wednesday. That’s not a criticism; it’s what the numbers say. Rui Hachimura regularly turns down corner 3s, the staple of modern NBA offenses, time and again for midrange shots. Again, that doesn’t make him a bad player, but when you don’t make opposing defenses stretch, it makes it so hard for Westbrook and Beal to score easily. They have to expend so much energy hacking through defenses that load the paint with bodies.

Maybe Deni Avdija is that player. But it’s still unclear that you’re going to get the most out of the 2020 first-rounder playing big minutes together with Westbrook. Avdija is not a catch-and-shoot player; he’s at his best with the ball in his hands — and the ball is almost always in Westbrook’s or Beal’s hands. We’ll see if there’s a future mesh there. In the interim, the midlevel exception or Washington’s first-rounder should be put to good use on a three this summer. (If you’re asking me, I’d be looking at the Pacers’ Doug McDermott or the Knicks’ Reggie Bullock in free agency. An Otto Porter reunion wouldn’t be out of the question for me, either.)

There were no expectations playing the top-seeded 76ers. But Game 2 exposed all of the Wizards’ bad traits — poor defense rotations, bad free-throw shooting, going 2-for-1 at the end of every quarter and somehow not getting a high-percentage shot on either possession. The Sixers are good, but you can’t help them by making just 19 of 30 from the free-throw line.

“They’re pretty athletic,” Beal said. “They use their size to their advantage. They want to try and punish teams in the paint. That’s where a lot of their offense is generated. They’re able to get two feet in the paint, and once they do that, we’re helping a lot.”

As far as Brooks, I’m not crazy about his rotations. I never understood what he did with Troy Brown Jr., and the same can be said with Garrison Mathews this season. And if we see another second of Westbrook-Beal-Neto in this series … geesh. But when times were toughest this season, when the team was ravaged by COVID-19 in January, he kept his group together. They won big games on the road down the stretch and played excellent defense. And Westbrook played at an All-NBA level for a month as he conquered Oscar Robertson’s career triple-double record. Brooks is a stan of Westbrook; Westbrook puts up monster numbers for Brooks. It makes little sense, now, to have one without the other. Who would you bring in that could get more out of Westbrook, and who’d have his respect?

By the way, Westbrook has been throttled by the Sixers in two games. The ankle injury he suffered late in Game 2 ended his night, but it wasn’t a good one before he got hurt, either. He said last week that when he was in Oklahoma City, the venerated assistant coach and Hall of Famer Maurice Cheeks told him great players don’t have two consecutive bad games.

That means Westbrook is due to perform magnificently Saturday in front of about 10,000 fans at Capital One Arena for Game 3. Teams play better at home and you’d expect the Wizards to do the same. It will be their last chance to make this series more than a glorified scrimmage for Philly, and they may be playing for more than pride.